Pirates...

"Eli, its your watch" Milo nudged my arm as I lay sleeping on the bunk, rubbing my eyes with my paw I reluctantly sit up in my bed, "I'm just boiling some water" Milo said holding onto the boats with one hand, the kettle swinging in tune with every single wave on the gimballed stove.

"we got plenty of alcohol for the stove" I asked, "Yep, another few bottles of fermenting potatoes left yet" he said pointing to the rack on the side with five bottles of questionable liquid.

It had been a year today since we first got on this boat and somehow it now felt more like home than anywhere else I'd been, Milo had become a good friends and we just seemed to work together as a team, he could literally make something from anything, and I've learnt so much from him the past year.

He was 25 so a bit older than me, he was good looking too, he had a perfect jawline, he was muscular and even in this hybrid form he just pulled it off, most of his fur was a gingery orange, with flecks of white, he had a cheeky smile, and he just had this aura about him, he was most certainly straight, but accepted me for who I was, and that's what I liked most about him.

"what's the log then Captain" I joked "all good, wind speed is about 15 knots were, doing five, its sunny on deck, no ships sighted so all's well" 
"here's to another successful watch then" I say grabbing the mug of tea and clinking it with his.

I was already dressed, I slept in my shorts and vest last night as I usually do during the nights, if I was needed on deck it was safer to be ready to go than have to faff about getting dressed first, we took it in turns on watch, 4 hours on, 4 hours off, and we would spend the afternoons awake together, the rest of the time we just passed over the baton to each other.

"I'm going to have this and then get my rest" Milo said raising his mug of tea, I climbed up the small steps into the sheltered cockpit, which with the sun beating down through the windows made it exceptionally hot like a greenhouse, the side hatches where open and there was a breeze blowing through thankfully.

Milo walked up with the scruffy logbook we had found along with a road atlas we found hidden underneath on of the sofas, "so were here" he said spreading it out on the navigation table, "and I reckon were about 3 days from the Mt Blanc" pointing to a distant place on the map, which according to the map we were directly above autobahn 43 near Dortmund Germany, but of course covered in water.

There was a scruffy pencil line drawn around the alps as to where we thought the land was, which we had mapped out over the past year doing supply runs to and from Norway, either bargaining with passing ships or sneaking what we needed from human camps we found on shore, we'd nearly been caught a few times, but often the humans were so hell bent on thinking we were infectious we managed to get away, and we used to use it in our favour quite often.

We did have one rule, and that was not to steel more than we needed, nor to steel from those than had nothing to begin with, we were just trying to get by, and avoiding the human slave ships in the east, which used to gather up hybrids and use them as slaves to produce crops and other manual jobs for their human overseers.

We kept ourselves to ourselves, and that had worked well for us so far, the map had the whole world within it, it was a big A3 booklet with lots of pages spanning the globe, I'd often flick through it during my watch and wonder what the world looked like in different places, there were contour lines and we roughly could work out that anything under 1600m high was now submerged, we had visited mainly the remains of Europe, and we knew to the east was the slavers, but we had never seen or heard anything from the west or further south than morocco, or what was left of morocco should I say.

"so just keep us on this heading and wake me in 4 yeah" milos said yawning and stretching his paws to the ceiling "sure, you've stuck another reef in I see, I'll probably shake that out in a bit before you settle too much, get us a bit more speed, I'd rather arrive at night if possible just in case anyone's watching the shoreline"