Eli

"Eli!".... oh great what does my dad want now, "I'm just getting my bag ready" I shout back downstairs, stuffing the last of my school art books into my bag, and checking my hair in the mirror, I had the wildest brown curly hair and I'd regularly fight with it most mornings to get it looking like I'd actually done something with it but with the virus all hairdressers had been closed and there really wasn't much I could do with it, and I wasn't about to let my dad or mum loose with the scissors.

It was only essential food manufactures at work and schools and colleges continued to teach, at least I got to leave the house I guess even if we had to test daily and wear masks all the time.
I grabbed my bag and darted downstairs, I'm going to be late I thought to myself, "see you later dad, I've got to run, love you"

"be safe!" he shouts after me as I fly through the door, the streets are silent, there's no cars going anywhere, they have nowhere to go I guess, everywhere is closed.

I used to get the bus to school, but we've all been separated now, and we get taught in the community hall which isn't too far away, I miss my friends though.

People peered out their curtains and windows as I walked on by, I couldn't handle been under "house arrest" the world had gone crazy, thankfully not many kids had become ill, apparently we were immune.

"hey Eli" Brooklyn called from across the street, I waved and dashed across the road, "hey, its like a million degrees today, I wish we didn't have to wear this stupid uniform" I said pulling at my collar and tie trying to adjust it
"I've never known it this hot" Brooklyn said kicking a stone along the pavement, I'd not know Brooklyn that long, he only lived a few streets away but we didn't go to the same school, but now the government had put us into these community hubs so we didn't travel far, I had a whole new class, and Brooklyn and I had become friends, although we couldn't see each other outside of school!

"do you think they will stop the community hubs soon? I heard it on the tv this morning that they were thinking about it" he looked me in the eyes with those big hazel eyes of his, I'd often get lost into those hypnotic pools, and wonder what he looked like under that mask, I'd never seen him without it, just his perfectly manicured hair and those beautiful eyes!

Sure I'd looked at guys before but its just a phase right, everyone goes through it don't they – I told myself.
Every time I was near him I just felt something, like I wanted him, like I wanted to kiss him, it was crazy, it was nuts, oh my god I'm staring and haven't said anything!

"you hear me Eli, they might close the hubs"

"yeah sorry, I just, you know... I cant be locked in the house I'd miss people, I'd miss this.... You"

Fuck...

"I mean like hanging out and stuff even if its just to school and back, it's the only normality at the minute"

Phew

"yeah I get you, hey did hear about Emma yesterday?"

"No, what did I miss" I feigned interest, Brooklyn was most likely straight, which bizarrely just made me want him more, there were moments when I'd think maybe he liked me that way, but then he would back track and go on about girls... and 'Emma'

"well she kissed tyler after school, and the school now has put them both in quarantine, because they broke the rules, cant as much as lift your mask off let alone kiss anyone!"
"quick we're within 2 meters, might catch the virus" I joked as Brooklyn smiled and shoved me away playfully

We didn't really know anyone who had caught the virus yet, other than on the news and some rumours around the neighbours about some elderly lady dying from it, but there was meant to be a vaccine, and then everything would go back to normal.