Judge and jury

Everything hurts, but especially my head, as I raised my tied up paws to the area I felt a strange cloth wrapped around my head.

"Eli, your awake" I felt Alex's lips touch mine, "I'm sorry, this is all my fault"

"I should have hid" I managed wincing at the pain in my chest as I spoke

"we shouldn't have come here" I said "please forgive me"

I didn't need to forgive him for anything, he didn't make those men attack me, I wanted to tell him but it hurt to speak, so I nodded "it hurts to talk" I managed before coughing again which was excruciating.

"its ok don't speak, but they're voting to let us out" Alex said hugging me the best he could with his tied hands "Maggie wanted to meet you" Alex said, "she had so many questions she wanted to ask you"

"you should have left me on the floor Alex, why ruin your life"

"don't say that, I love you"

"I love you too, but now your caged like me, that's on me"

"id rather spend a lifetime in here with you than a single day more out there alone" Alex say squeezing my gently, it made me smile, but this was the end wasn't it.

We had nowhere else to go.

I could hear footsteps coming up the hill getting louder, quite a few of them and Alex leapt up, I focused my eyes to see many humans stood at the entrance to the gondola, a lady with white wiry hair unlocked the door and they coaxed us outside, I barely managed to crawl out before being propped up on the side of the gondola., Alex sat near me.

We have some questions, the lady with the white hair said, "that's Barbara, Alex whispered"

"how did you change?"

"the vaccine" I managed, "I... I passed out and woke up like this, well without the head wound and the pain in my chest but like this"

The lady smiled, I knew I could win them over

"I'm sorry about that, all we can do is make up for it I guess"

Was this it, were we finally going to be free?

"everybody back" a voice shouted as the crowd of people parted, 6 men in uniform stood behind with guns in their arms

The patrol

"what the hells going on" Barbara asked

"we had a call about a hybrid, and it seems it was correct"

"that's the one that's been helping it, James points to Alex"

"no, he didn't help me I did it alone" I plead

"were here to take you to the centre, to make you better" one of the ben walked forward grabbing my arms "and you need to come too, for decontamination" they pointed to Alex. "just in case your infected"

"the centre is lies, they torture us, not help us" I protested

"anyone who interferes will be dealt with" the patrol officer stated raising his gun at the humans, "back off"

They did as he asked, I protested the best I could but the fight in me had gone, I was struggling to even stand and was dragged most of the way, a younger girl followed Alex and I as we were dragged down the beach, Alex trying to fight it but he was picky up and carried away by one officer.
"Alex I'm sorry, I don't know what I can do" the young girl said, one of the officers pushed her out the way, separating her from us "Maggie" Alex shouts

The officers but us in a rowboat, and I reach out for Alex's hand, he touches my paw gently trying to squeeze it, but an officer splits us up.

We arrive at a patrol boat, where we are taken into the hold, the boat was a lot bigger than any I had seen, with huge sails, no wonder they went so quick, below in the hold was some cages, and that's where they threw Alex, and then me separately in them, the space no bigger than a meter by a meter cube of steel mesh with a lockable door.