Your the pirate!

I looked around as if looking for someone else for advice, but there wasn't anyone, a hybrid was begging me in a very human way to help him

I'd not seen a hybrid up close before his fur was short, he had longer fur on this head almost like hair but the same black as the rest of his fur, just with a white fleck in the middle.
He had large ears and a small snout, a black button nose similar to an animal, but he knelt there like a human, and despite some features I could almost see a boy underneath them all, especially his body, it was like mine, a defined chest and abdomen but covered in short black fur.

"The blood, who's is it" I asked as he looked up at me slowly

"My friend Milo, they shot him, they killed him"

Why am I doing this , I'm suddenly looking back to the vision of George hooking me out of the water, I don't remember it but had he not saved me I wouldn't be here right now, looking at this hybrid and the decision is in my hands.

I pick up the boat hook and grab onto the side of the raft, "don't move" I instruct and he stays rigidly still, not taking his eyes from what I'm doing, I hoot the side ropes of the raft over the stern of the boat and tie it in place, stepping down onto the back of the boat I offer a hand to pull the hybrid on board.

He hesitates and takes my hand, his fur soft, but his hands not dissimilar to my own, the joggers he's wearing covered in blood and wet, his black fur again covered in blood and wetness.

I pull upwards and pull him into the cockpit of the boat

What are you doing Alex

I untie the life raft and deflate it, letting it sink, before turning my attention back to the hybrid who was now sat in the cockpit staring at me.

"who shot him, who are they"?

"a boat with a harpoon, they chased us and wanted to kill us, I tired to save him, they shot him and I couldn't save him" 

He broke down crying again, "thank you" he said "I'm not a monster" he added

The realisation of what I'd done dawned upon me, I might have saved a life but I had no idea where I could take him, and could I even trust him, he's a bloody pirate I reminded myself grabbing some rope, "ill co-operate" he said holding his hands together for me to tie, it felt odd, but he's a pirate and I continued to tie his hands together and to his paws, he looked sad "I'm not a monster I wont hurt you" 

"I've just so many questions, this isn't, I mean.... " looking at the ropes as I tied them around his soft paws, connecting to the loops I'd put around his feet "I need to think" I stated not quite sure where I should start.

"I'm Eli" he said

"I wasn't always like this, I was like you, you know a boy, I'm 19 from Bristol"

"Eli..." I responded a little shocked at his words

"no I'm Eli", he smiled "your supposed to tell me your name"

"oh yeah I know, erm I'm Alex, it's just you're human, or you was human, I'm confused"

"I had the vaccine, you know for the virus, and it turned me into this, then they took me away from my parents to a centre where they killed some of us...." He trailed off "but before then you, know I was like you"

"but they said you caused the virus, and made it spread"

"at the centre they said I was immune, and they took blood to make a cure, but a doctor who helped us escape, said everyone was already infected and you either turned or didn't simple as that."

"but sill you're a pirate" I accuse him and he almost flinches and is upset by this

"I'm the pirate? You humans stuck me in a facility, beat us, killed us, mutilated us, and now you hunt the seas for us to round us up and either kill us or send us east to the slave camps and I'm the pirate!, are you going to try and kill me too?"

Elis raised voice shocks me but the question at the end almost seems like he's telling the truth, 

"no" I snap back "I wouldn't hurt anyone" and Eli raises his tied up hands and looks me in the eye raising an eyebrow

"hey everything I known is that your dangerous, but I look at you and... well I don't know"

"well I'm not" Eli snaps back "sorry I'm tired, I lost my friend, and you.... You're the pirate" he shrugs trying to point at me

"ok, I'm sorry too" I say untying his feet, "but the hands have to stay, like, until I can trust you" Eli doesn't say anything as I untie his feet, "can I rest below" he asked looking at the companionway hatch

I led him below holding his ropes to steady him, and show him to my bunk, "it's the only one I have made up but you can sleep in it for now, here" I say grabbing a towel so he can try his fur a little, but as Eli shrugs with his hands tied just looks at me, in the darker interior of the boat I notice his hazel eyes staring deep into mine, he's hard to read, usually I can tell what a person is thinking when I look at them.

A person Alex... is it a person?

I rub his fur dry the best I can with the towel, Eli sighs as I do so, but I'm not untying him, not yet. "get some rest" I offer as he lies in the bunk, but he just stares back at me.

I climb back up into the companionway and sort the sails back out, getting the boat back moving, and shaking the reefs out, the boat makes way pushing through the waves and all seems normal again on board as I busy myself with the tasks of getting sea otter sailing, until I realise he's still below ... Eli.

I cant leave him tied up, its wrong, I'm not like the others he's told me about, if he wanted to hurt me he wouldn't have let me tie him up, would he?

I creep back down below, and Eli is laid there with his eyes closed, his hand sticking awkwardly over the side of the bunk, I grab hold of his hands, his paws, and gently un-tie the rope, pausing slightly as I touch his paws and remove the last of the rope.

As I pull my hands away I realise he's watching me and pulls the covers up over himself, a tear forms in his eye as he whispers "thank you"