Chapter 3

Rumour had it armies had turned at the mere sight of the castle. Austin couldn't speak to the validity of that claim, but he could imagine it to be true. The walls were rough, with deep slits between the stones where the mortar had crumbled. But though they were weathered, they were grey blocks of thick rock, unyielding.

Austin craned his neck as he passed the gatehouse, comparing this gate to the one at the prison and finding this one even sturdier. It was history that had his interest, not architecture, but at that moment he would take any distraction he could find.

The garden surrounding the castle was large enough to admit thousands. It was wide and spacious. Everywhere Austin looked, there were fountains with intricate stone-carved figures perched on top of it, and statues of previous leaders on pedestals, adorned with wreaths. A high wall of the same massive stone of which the rest of the castle was constructed circled around the entirety of the garden.

"We're lucky Alder has time to see us," Ellis said, walking along with his eyes fixed on the castle's entrance.

Austin wasn't sure 'lucky' was the word he'd use. The heavy front doors were opened well before they reached it. The guards standing on either side of it inclined their heads in welcome when they passed.

They were made to wait in the entrance hall for a few minutes, while their arrival was announced. The inside of the castle had easily as many sights to behold as the outside, and Austin gladly took it all in, ignoring his wolf moving fretfully inside his mind. There were large paintings hung on the wall. They were portraits of previous leaders with their mates, all richly dressed and regally posing. He couldn't help but dwell on how human they looked.

Ellis placed a heavy hand on his shoulder and forced him into motion, and it was only then he realised a servant had come to take them to the king. His heart shot into his throat and his shoes screeched against the floor as he subconsciously tried to run the other way. Ellis mercilessly dragged him onwards, until they reached the throne room.

"Ellis, Austin, how absolutely wonderful to see you again," Corinne said. Majestic and graceful as she looked, she wasn't one for etiquette and jumped up from her throne the second they entered the room, dashing down the few steps and embracing Ellis warmly. When she released him, she rested her hands on his shoulders and held him at an arm's length, looking him over.

"You look well, Ellis," she said, smiling. She turned to Austin next, her smile morphing into a grin as her eyes strayed over him. "Look at you! Dashingly handsome still." She didn't hug him, but grasped one of his hands in both of hers.

He moved his weight from one foot to the other, his cheeks burning at the queen's attention.

"It has been far too long," Corinne said, releasing him at last and stepping back. "I trust all is well?"

'Well' wasn't how Austin would classify his current state of mind, but Ellis beat him to it by saying that yes, all was absolutely splendid.

King Alder had stepped down from his throne during Corinne's greeting, and was patiently standing beside his mate, waiting for a chance to cut in. He greeted them both with a handshake and a smile.

"Is it true what we were told?" he asked once the pleasantries were out of the way. "Have you found your mate in our prison, Austin?"

Austin opened his mouth to reply in the affirmative, but his admittance would make it real and he was not ready for that.

"Yes, he has," Ellis said. "Forgive him, Your Majesties, he is quite overwhelmed."

"There is nothing to forgive," Alder said. "It is not every day you meet your mate." He glanced at Corinne with the gentle smile of someone deeply in love. Corinne slipped her arm around his and leaned into him, and they seemed such a picture of perfect happiness that for one brief second Austin felt something stir inside him. They had the kind of love that only a fated mate could give.