Chapter 20

Ryleigh and Sky wandered through the centre of the pack, with Sky elucidating in as few words possible the sights they passed, such as the dining hall and training field. Ryleigh had never seen a pack as big as this one.

"Incoming," Sky said.

Ryleigh started from her thoughts and gave her a dazed look. "What?"

"There you are," Austin said behind her.

Sky just raised her eyebrows in a Too late to run now way, and Ryleigh fought the urge to roll her eyes. She pasted a smile onto her face – a very insincere one, it must be said – and twirled around.

"Ah, Austin," she said. "Did you find a moment in your busy schedule to check if my babysitter is keeping to the list?"

"I am," Sky said, plucking the piece of paper from where she had tucked it behind her belt. She unfolded it. "It's Ryleigh who hasn't been keeping to the list."

"That's because it's a stupid list."

Austin put his hands in his pockets and gave her a one-shouldered shrug. "If you knew how to behave, you'd need neither a babysitter nor a list."

"If you knew how to treat me right, perhaps I'd behave." She cocked a brow.

A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, but he didn't take the bait. Instead, he turned to Sky. "So, how did it go today?" He cast Ryleigh a sideways glance. "No need to sugar-coat it."

Sky refolded the list, brows furrowed. "I like her."

"You do?"

"Let's not act like that's unimaginable," Ryleigh said. "I am actually quite likeable, you know, under the right circumstances."

Sky shook her head. "You're an acquired taste."

"Well, you acquired it in less than a day, so I'll take that as a win." She turned to Austin. "So what, you thought she wouldn't like me? Is that why you tossed us together? To see me stuck with someone who can't stand me? Well, joke's on you. We've become great friends."

"Don't push it," Sky said.

"Don't fight it."

Sky breathed a slow sigh and handed Austin the list. "With some effort, we managed to follow most of the list, but she hasn't eaten all day."

"This seems the right moment to remind you that you're neither my nurse nor my father," Ryleigh said, snatching the paper from Sky's hold before Austin could take it from her. She ripped it in two, then rearranged the two halves and tore them again, and again. "You do not get to tell me what to do." 

Austin removed his hands from his pockets and crossed his arms over his chest, muscles rippling underneath his shirt. "If that is so, why did you follow most of the list?"

"Because Sky is intimidating, and because most of it was common sense anyway. But let me be very clear: I'm a wolf, not a dog that will roll over at your command." She released the shreds of paper, the wind hunting them across the ground towards the woods. "Understood?"

He inclined his head ever so slightly, the ghost of a smile haunting his lips. "Understood."

She stuck out her chin and regarded him. "Am I amusing you, Beta?"

"Always." He nodded in the direction of the dining hall. "Dinner is about to be served. Since you haven't eaten, perhaps you'd like to come with me? If you're up for it, anyway."

This threw her off, and she followed his gaze to the large building. "Dinner? With your pack?"

He nodded, raising his brows slightly as if to dare her.