Chapter 10

"What do you mean 'you're leaving'?" Austin asked, drawing a hand over his sweaty brow. Training had just ended and Julie had intercepted him on his way to his room.

"I'm going to the Royal Wolves to visit my brother and help him with the pup," she said, already carrying a bag along with her. "Teleporter should arrive in a few minutes."

He pushed the doors to the pack mansion open and walked inside, looking at her over his shoulder with a frown forming on his forehead. "When will you be back?"

She hesitated, following him up the stairs. "Few weeks, something like that."

"A few weeks?" He came full stop and turned around. "That long?"

"Having a pup is stressful. They can use all the help they can get."

He thought about that for a second and slowly started up the stairs again. "But they have a whole pack. Surely someone else can help them?" He shook his head. "Sorry, I'd just miss you."

A smile touched her lips but didn't find a home there. She went after him into his room. He walked over to his closet and pulled out a clean shirt, pulling his dirty one over his head and discarding it on the floor. Julie's breath hitched in her throat and she clung a little tighter to her bag, reminding herself that she only had time for a swift goodbye.

"The timing is horrible, though," Austin said, taking his damned time donning his fresh shirt. His muscles were on full display and Julie wisely stared down at her feet instead. "I know it's selfish, but I could really use you here. My fated mate's driving me insane already." He shot a look her way and chuckled when he noticed her flamed cheeks and averted gaze.

"I know the timing is bad," she said. "Just our luck, I guess."

He walked over to her, gently forcing her face up to his by placing two fingers underneath her chin. "How about one week?" he asked, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. His hand wandered to the crook of her neck, his fingers playing with her hair.

"I... uh..." She snorted a laugh and rested her head against his shoulder. "You know I can't think when you touch me."

"O, I know."

"I don't know how long they'll need me for. I can't say when I'll be back. Can't make any promises."

"The Royal Wolves are the biggest pack, you can't tell me they don't have enough help already." His hands moved to her back, wrapping around her and pulling her tighter against him. She closed her eyes a second, revelling in his warmth.

"My brother wrote to me," she said then, disengaging herself from him. "He said he and his mate would prefer my help, being family and all. And I haven't seen the pup yet. They'd like me to meet him." She cast her gaze down – lying didn't come easy to her. Fortunately, Austin wasn't used to looking for deceit in her.

"Did you clear it with Ellis?" he asked. "I can't imagine him wanting to lose you for weeks. You're invaluable around here."

How easy it would be to tell him exactly how discardable Ellis thought she was. Austin would be furious and would give Ellis a piece of his mind the alpha wouldn't soon forget. And then he'd sent his mate packing and all would be as it ever was. "I cleared it, yeah. He was fine with it. You know how he is. A real family man."

"And you're leaving already? I don't think we've ever been apart that long since we met. How will I cope without you?" He flashed her a smirk and drew her closer.

Tears burned in Julie's eyes so she closed them, slipping her arms around his neck and breathing in his scent. Selfishly, a part of her hoped he wouldn't cope, that he'd miss her more than he could bear and spend the next few weeks thinking about her far too hard to have time for his mate. But she knew that wouldn't be true.