Chapter 31

When Austin woke, he wondered why his back didn't hurt, but then he realised he was lying in his own bed. There was a weight pressing down on his chest that he couldn't quite place and he blinked his eyes open, finding Ryleigh fast asleep, her head resting on his torso and an arm draped across his stomach. His breath caught in his throat.

She was cynical and clever when awake, but asleep... Her lips were curved into an almost-smile, a thin strip of morning light danced on her hair, and the same light made her freckles stand out dark against her pale skin. She was beautiful and he barely dared to breathe for fear of waking her. He'd never seen her this at ease.

He knew he shouldn't, but he gently stroked a strand of her hair out of her face, his fingers brushing over her cheek. She stirred, inhaling his scent deeply, the corners of her mouth turning upwards. Austin's heart skipped a beat, then resumed its beating with renewed fervour, pounding in his chest so loudly he was half convinced it would wake her. It didn't.

He shot a glance at the clock hanging on the wall above his desk and noted with some surprise and more than some dissatisfaction that he'd overslept. He usually woke up early naturally. Actually, he couldn't quite remember the last time he had slept this deeply.

His arm was starting to go numb so he shifted cautiously, trying to keep the rest of him as still as possible so that she might remain comfortable. He wiggled his arm out from under her, then paused, unsure where to leave it. He decided on the only logical space, which was draped gently over her back. He was sure she would wake up and tell him off for touching her (even though she was the one all over him), but she didn't. Instead, she stirred and snuggled closer against him. He slowly released a breath, trying to turn off his thoughts.

Another glance at the clock told him that he was going to be unfashionably late for training. If he didn't hurry up, there would definitely be questions. Everyone would be able to smell her all over him – how was he going to explain that to Julie?

Ryleigh moved a little, her eyelids fluttering. "Stop stressing. I can feel your tension through the bond."

"Sorry."

She stirred again and he moved his arm, allowing her to roll onto her back. She pressed her hand against her mouth to stifle a yawn, then stretched her arms above her head.

"Want to talk about it?" she asked. She sank deeper under the covers, pulling them up to her chin.

"No." He slipped out of bed and glanced back at her. She was lying stretched out, an arm drawn behind her head, looking directly at him. "Do you want to talk about what's going on with you?"

"No. Where are you going? Training?"

He nodded. "I'm already late."

"You should have just pushed me off you." She cocked a brow. "Guess you were just too comfortable."

"Considering you're the one demanding I get in bed with you, I don't think you have any right to tease me." He walked to his closet and picked an outfit without looking, disappearing into the bathroom to get changed.

When he returned, he caught Ryleigh's glance again. She was chewing her bottom lip, her eyes immeasurable pits of darkness. "We need to reconsider our sleeping arrangements."

"What do you mean?" He ran his hands through his hair, trying to force it into submission, but it sprung up again instantly and he gave up.

"I don't think it's right for us to share a room. Especially now Julie's back. I can't imagine her approving of this."

"I explained it to her. She understood."

"She said she understood. And even if she understands, the rest won't. It gives a wrong message to the pack."