Chapter 30

"Where is Ryleigh?" Austin linked her guards. He was asking that question more often than he liked lately.

"She's at the school."

That was a first. "What is she doing there?"

"Far as we can tell, she's following Camden's class."

Austin walked to the school, shaking his head. He entered the building, memories of his own time spent there washing over him, and walked through the long corridor to where he saw Seth and Nate. They were standing right outside one of the classrooms, leaning against the wall.

"You're not in there with her?" Austin asked, wincing as his voice reverberated through the empty hall. There was no window through which they could gaze into the room and for all he knew, Ryleigh had used this opportunity to escape.

"Camden wouldn't let us," Nate said. "Said it would distract the teens."

"And Ryleigh wouldn't?"

"Camden said he'd manage her."

Camden was far past his prime and Austin had little doubt who would win if Ryleigh decided to fight him for her escape. But then there were about twenty teens in the room with her, some of whom where promising fighters. This was Ryleigh, though, and you could never be too careful.

The door squeaked open and a teenager slipped out of the room, halting in his tracks when he noticed Ryleigh's entourage. A slow grin spread over the kid's face. "Your mate is funny," he said, then walked on to wherever he was going.

Austin just managed to get a glimpse inside the room before the door clicked shut again. Ryleigh was sitting near the back of the class, beside Carry. Just like the night in the hall, she was sitting with her head propped up on her hands, watching Camden intently.

"How long ago did the class start?" he asked.

"About an hour? I think they'll be done soon."

Austin nodded and decided to wait, if only so he could ask her why she had reduced herself to a schoolgirl. Not five minutes later, the door opened again and this time a stream of adolescents trickled outside.

It had been a fair while since Austin had last set foot in the classrooms and when he entered Camden's class then, he remembered how much he had enjoyed history classes.

Carry and Ryleigh were still sitting at their desks at the back, chatting and chuckling. Camden leant against the desk across from theirs, smiling along with their conversation. All three of them looked up when Austin came in.

"Beta," Camden said, inclining his head. "It's been a long time since I've last seen you in here." He turned to Ryleigh. "Did he tell you that he used to be my star student?"

"No," she said, her eyes flitting to him. "I'm not surprised."

"I was looking for you," Austin said.

Her brows shot up. "O, Goddess, what have I done now?"

"Nothing. What are you doing here?"

"Ryleigh expressed to me how much she enjoyed my stories," Camden said, pride shining in his eyes, "so I invited her to join my class. I must say, Beta, she has been a great addition. The students love her and she asks all the right questions."

"You flatter me," Ryleigh said, getting up. "Thank you for letting me sit in. It was very interesting."

"I teach another class tomorrow morning. Interested?"

"Definitely! I'll be there." She grinned at Camden and Austin wondered if she'd ever smile at him like that.

"Alright, I'm all yours," she said, shooting Austin a look before leaving the classroom. "Thanks for waiting for me, guys." She smiled at the guards, who smiled back at her and followed beside her rather than behind her as she left. She glanced back over her shoulder to see if he was coming or not.