Chapter 23

For a minute, all Ryleigh could focus on was her heart drumming in her ears and the slowly settling realisation that this had started to become a real problem.

After that, when the quiet finally returned to her mind, it dawned on her she was sitting in her mate's lap and, what's more, that there was an audience. Gossip travels fast in packs and though she liked her guards, she couldn't be sure they wouldn't tell everyone the wolf they had to protect was crazier than any rogue.

Austin had her tightly in his grip, keeping her pressed against his chest. Her head was resting in the crook of his neck, and his smell was so overwhelming she couldn't stop herself from sitting still a few seconds longer, inhaling his scent and exhaling this horrible experience. It would have been hard enough to tear herself away under normal circumstances, but luck would have it he was still shirtless.

Her wolf pushed her to mark him right on the spot and Ryleigh inwardly rolled her eyes – both at her animal counterpart and at the entire situation. She took a deep breath and raised her head from his shoulder and pulled away. Her hand brushed over his abdominal muscles and she felt her cheeks catch fire.

He loosened his hold on her, cautiously and slowly, as though he wasn't sure whether she would erupt into another 'attack', as he liked calling it. She purposely avoided looking at him – at his eyes, his muscles, his bare chest – and pulled herself upright with a bit too much urgency, nearly toppling back down. Austin was on his feet instantly, already reaching out to steady her, but she raised a hand to stop him.

"I'm fine!" she said, her voice a bit too high-pitched to be believable. "You should get back to training." She waved in the general direction of the training field. She was still slightly out of breath and had to keep herself from bending over and panting with her hands on her knees.

"What just happened?" he asked. He crossed his arms, his muscles rippling underneath his skin.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" He quirked a brow. "That didn't look like nothing."

Ryleigh pursed her lips and pondered a plausible excuse.

"Last time you said it was a nightmare," Austin said. "That lie isn't exactly applicable now."

"Daymare?" She hadn't often seen anyone look less impressed and she knew she was going to have to come up with something better. Or, if she felt confident, she could refuse to explain anything at all and just deal with his incessant nagging.

"I want an explanation," he said.

"And I want my freedom. Can't always have what we want. Now, you should really get back to training. Conall will miss his punching bag."

"Don't try to be funny about this."

"Me? Funny?" She gasped and placed a hand over her heart. "I wouldn't dare."

"You're doing it again," Sky said. "Beta, link me if you need me, this seems a conversation I have no part in." She nodded at him, glanced at Ryleigh, and left the scene. Ryleigh wished she could walk away too, but judging from Austin's stern look, there was little chance of that.

"Well?" he said.

Ryleigh shook her head. "It's nothing, really. Nothing for you to worry about. Really, go back to training."

"Not until I get an explanation."

"Well, if you won't go, I will." She spurred into motion, but hadn't taken three steps before he grasped her wrist and pulled her back.

"You can't just walk away."

"Yes, I can. Let me go." She tried to pull loose, but to no avail.