Chapter 53

Ryleigh knocked on the door to Austin's bedroom. No response came, but she knew he'd just returned from patrol. Besides, she could pick up his scent even through the closed door. He was in there, alright.

"Austin, open up," she said. She could hear him move around, but he didn't open the door. She tapped her foot against the floorboards. What was this, even? She wasn't going to beg to talk to him. She was doing him a favour by seeking him out. She owed him no explanation. "You know what, never mind."

What did he think? That she was desperate to speak to him? That she was bothered by the fact he'd been avoiding her since Jade had shown up? That she gave a damn whether or not he was pissed at her? She could care less. She turned and barged to the stairs. Behind her, the door clicked open and she halted, a breath escaping her.

"I was just getting changed," he said.

Her eyes fluttered shut at the sound of his deep voice, but she made sure not to show anything when she swivelled round again. Right enough, he was standing in the doorway wearing only his trousers.

"Well," she said. "I did always have good timing." She inched closer, making every effort possible to keep her eyes locked on his face. "Can we talk?"

"I guess." He stepped aside just enough to let her in. Her shoulder brushed his bare chest in passing and her breath hitched in her throat. She moved over to the window, keeping her back to him.

"I'm guessing you're pretty upset with me," she said.

"If you've come to give me excuses, Julie already brought me up to speed. Now, aren't you even going to look at me while you talk?"

She rolled her eyes and turned around. "I don't have an excuse. None that would satisfy you, anyway. Look, I get that you're pissed, but I had to protect Jade."

"I thought you said no excuses." He crossed his arms across his chest, muscles flexing, and Ryleigh reached behind her, clasping her hands around the edge of the windowsill.

"Right. Guess I lied again." She chuckled, but he didn't seem to find it as funny. "Alright, moving on. Jade has agreed to ask our father for some time. Hopefully he'll give me long enough to be able to reject you."

"And then you're going back to him," he said.

"It's complicated. I have to, to save my life. But after that I might escape again. At least if I can convince Jade to come with me. I can't leave her behind."

"Do you think he's going to give you another chance to get away?" Austin asked, raising a brow.

"Maybe in a few years, once I've regained his trust. But that's not your problem. I'm not your problem."

"You really don't care, do you?" he said. "You'll reject me with a smile on your face and then you'll never think of me again. How is it that the mate bond has affected me so much more than it has you?"

Ryleigh removed herself from the window and walked to his closet. She rummaged through it, pulled out a shirt and went over to him. She pressed it against his chest until he took it, his fingers brushing over hers.

"Really?" he said.

"Yes, really. I can't focus with such a view."

He shook his head, but pulled the fabric over his head. Ryleigh released a breath, nodding.

"That's better. Now, to answer your question, it hasn't. I'm as drawn to you as you are to me. I mean, how could I not?" She gestured to the entirety of his being. "I'm not blind, and the mate bond isn't exactly helping. I usually have more restraint." She didn't move to the window again, but remained in front of him, her head slightly tilted up to be able to look at him. "All jokes aside, I won't be smiling when I reject you, and I'll think of you every day for the rest of my life."