Chapter 50

A few days later, at breakfast, the next obstacle showed its face. Ryleigh had just set her teeth into a bun, blissfully unaware of what – or rather who – was approaching the pack.

Ellis' head shot up, coffee sloshing over the rim of the cup he was holding. He listened to something only he could hear, his face turning a shade paler. Ryleigh slowly put her bread down on her plate, watching him intently.

"What is it?" Austin asked.

Everyone present at the breakfast table – the brothers, Ryleigh and Julie – had their eyes fixed on Ellis, who was too lost in conversation to notice the attention he was getting. He nodded, his cup still hovering halfway between the table and his mouth, coffee trickling down his hand.

"Ellis," Conall said, sharing a look with Austin. "What's going on?"

Ellis blinked, the dazed look dissipating from his eyes. He put his cup down and wiped his hands on his trousers, pushing to his feet. "Enemy infiltrating pack territory," he said, glancing at Ryleigh.

Ryleigh swallowed, but remained silent.

"Is it...?" Julie said, afraid even to finish the sentence.

"It's a female," Ellis said. "Apparently she encountered border patrol some minutes ago, but they were unable to do anything when she approached. They said they felt like they were paralysed."

Ryleigh was on her feet, the cups and plates on the table wobbling dangerously. "Leave it to me." Without awaiting Ellis' permission or anyone's protests, she dashed out of the breakfast parlour.

"'Leave it to me?'" Conall said, quirking a brow at Ellis. "Is that how we do things now?"

Austin was already out the door, following Ryleigh on her heels. Ellis was right behind him, Julie and Conall in close pursuit. They burst through the front doors, looking around to see where Ryleigh had disappeared to, and whether there was any sign of the hostile invader yet.

"There!" Conall said, pointing to the treeline right ahead of them.

An auburn wolf emerged from between the trees, running at full speed. Sand drifted up all around her – a tiny hurricane on legs.

"We need to do something," Austin said, already stepping forward. Ellis's hand landed on his arm, pulling him back.

"I'm linking everyone to stay clear," he said. "That includes you. Let her handle this."

"But –"

"No buts. Stand here and watch or go inside, but you're not to interfere."

Ryleigh headed straight for the wolf. Racing down the mansion's steps, she was human, but as soon as her feet touched solid ground, she jumped and shifted mid-air. Everyone stared at the remains of her clothes fluttering to the ground as Ryleigh's dark-blonde wolf soared through the air and landed with enough force to kick up dirt and twigs.

"She's not strong enough to fight," Austin said.

Ellis shook his head. "It's her call."

"If she gets hurt –"

"It's her call."

The two wolves reached each other and all conversation ended. Both wolves grumbled. The sound ripped through the air, tearing at the loaded silence.

Ryleigh never slowed down, not even when she reached her opponent. Instead, she used her speed to ram her head into the other wolf's side. Her momentum caused the wolf to fly off her feet, but since Ryleigh was going far too fast to stop, she tumbled after her.