Chapter 9

Austin entered the prison in silence and grabbed a chair, placing it in front of Ryleigh's cell. He sat himself down on it with a sigh. Ryleigh was lying on her side on the floor and didn't bother looking up or moving in the slightest at his arrival.

"You know there's a bed, right?" Austin said.

Ryleigh didn't respond – didn't even open her eyes. She did know there was a bed, but her legs were too tired to climb on it so the floor had to suffice. His scent enveloped her and she exhaled slowly. His presence invigorated her, which was both a blessing and a curse. The bond between them was getting stronger by the minute, and nothing either of them did to mentally detach themselves from the other had any effect. 

"You haven't eaten."

She blinked open a single eye and glanced at him, then at the bowl of food near the door of her cell. It'd been there for a couple hours, and she was still working up the energy to go over to it. She was no longer attempting to starve herself, but that no longer mattered. With or without her permission, her body would not eat. The mere thought made her stomach convulse.

"I'm Austin," he said, "but you probably picked up on that."

No reaction.

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I'd like to know your name too. Think you could give it to me?" He watched her with slightly raised eyebrows, but though she was at least watching him now, she didn't do anything but blink. "Guess not. It would be easier to talk if you would shift, you know. I feel weird talking to your wolf."

Nothing.

He sighed and sat back again. Seeing the crease between his brows deepen in vexation, Ryleigh almost took pity on him, but then she reminded herself that she was the one dying behind bars, not him.

"Very well," he said. "I'll be patient. Do you know where you are?" He paused as if to give her an opportunity to reply, then went on: "We're the Midnight Moon pack. My oldest brother, Ellis, is the alpha. You've met him. My other brother and I are his betas." He clacked his tongue. "Figured you might want to know. I mean, I would like to know what pack you are from, if any. You're not a rogue, I don't think. Is someone looking for you? We could help you reach out to them."

She laughed, which in her wolf form materialised as a sort of snort.

"That's a no, then," he said.

The door opened, which startled them both.

"You linked me?" Ridge, the pack doctor asked, stepping inside the prison and closing the door behind him again. He turned around, his eyes resting a moment on Austin, then drifting off to Ryleigh. "This is her?"

"Yes. Will you take a look at her? She's not doing well."

"That's an understatement." Ridge approached the bars, clasping his hands behind his back and studying Ryleigh. She didn't like the attention and as if to show him she still had some fight left in her, she struggled to all fours. She whined as her muscles protested against the added pressure but refused to lie down again. Instead, she moved to the corner of her cell and sat down on her hindlegs, never once breaking eye contact with Ridge.

"Alright," Ridge muttered, turning his head. "Where are the keys, Beta?"

"The keys? You want to go in there?"

"Well, you want me to take a look at her. My eyes aren't what they used to be and she's pretty far away. Either she has to come closer to me or I have to come closer to her, and I think I know which of those two is most likely to happen."

"She's dangerous."

Ridge spotted the keys on a nail beside the door and got them, going through the ring to find the right key. "Is she dangerous, or just scared?" He landed on the key that had Ryleigh's cell number engraved in it and smiled. He approached her cell door and halted there, sticking the key in the lock but not turning it yet.