Chapter 32

"Good morning, Julie," Ellis said, intercepting her in the hallway.

She froze. She used to enjoy running into Ellis, but lately every conversation between them had ended with her smashing another part of her heart into pieces for the sake of the greater good.

"Morning," she said, unwilling to add the 'good' until she knew why he had stopped her.

"How are you?" He was usually very relaxed when he spoke to her, but right then there was a hint of nervousness to his posture. Apparently he remembered their previous conversation and wasn't sure where they stood. Julie didn't know either.

How was she? A nervous wreck. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. She hadn't slept in days. Her future was slipping through her fingers and she let it. "I'm good."

Her nature encouraged her to ask the question back, but small-talk was the furthest thing from her mind. Besides, she could see how he was doing. He looked good – but then he always did – but he hadn't been sleeping well either – he never did – and he was feeling guilty about forcing her into the position he'd been forcing her into. Still, just because he didn't like doing it, didn't mean he was going to stop, and they both knew that. When he got something in his head, he would see it through, no matter what. It was a good trait for an alpha to have – usually, anyway – but it wasn't great for maintaining friendships.

"Was there something you needed from me?" In her mind, she envisioned herself opening her chest and plucking out her battered heart, handing it to him to shred to bits. Apparently she had no use for it anyway.

"Actually, yes," he said, smiling that careless, apologetic smile of his. It was a smile Julie had grown to fear. It was the kind of smile that made you do things you didn't want to do and thank him for it while you were at it. "You know our annual moon festival is coming up."

It wasn't a question, so she saved herself the effort of responding.

"I need you to go into town and meet with the teleporter's guild," he said. "Reserve all the teleporters they have. We'll need as many as we can get."

A frown settled on her features. "That will take all day. I was going to spend time with Austin. Can I do it tomorrow?"

He shook his head. "You know what they're like. If we don't get to them well in advance, they'll screw us over."

"Tomorrow is still early enough, though, isn't it? The festival is still a month away."

"Last year we booked the teleporters two months in advance and that was already on the late side. We should have done it already but with everything that's been going on, it has slipped my mind."

"Can't someone else do it?"

"They are familiar with you. You know they don't really trust werewolves, but they love you. You can sweettalk them into anything."

Julie sighed. Deep breaths, she told herself. "Can I just ask – did you know I was planning to spend the day with Austin?"

He had the gall to look confused. "What?"

Her wolf was growling in the back of her mind, knowing full well that he was trying to keep them away from the man they loved. If he hadn't been the alpha, she might have attempted to rearrange his facial structure.

"Are you insisting I do it today so that I can't spend time with Austin?" she asked, lifting her eyes to his.

"Of course not. I just explained to you –"

"Yes, we're already late. I heard. I just can't help but feel that one day wouldn't make much of a difference. For the past two weeks, every conversation we've had has revolved around me keeping my distance from Austin and his mate. Is this another one of those conversations?"

"No, this is about me – your alpha – asking you – a councilmember – to do your job." Indignation flamed in his eyes, which was nothing new. He was used to being obeyed and he had no patience with those that crossed him. 

"I will go," she said. "Consider it done."

He forced a smile. "Thank you."

"It is no issue, Alpha." She nodded at him, then turned on her heels and walked out, slamming the front door shut on both him and their friendship.

*****

"You have some explaining to do, Ryleigh," Carry said that night at dinner.

Ryleigh paused her fork midway to her mouth. "I do?"

"Yes. You ran out in the middle of Camden's class today."

"O!" She put down her utensils and straightened up. Her eyes flitted to Camden, who was looking at her with an amused smile from across the table. "I assure you it wasn't because the lesson didn't interest me, Camden. No offense was meant."

"None was taken," he said.

"It was such an interesting lesson too!" Carry said. "About the Shadow-Walkers." She looked around the table. "They are such an awesome pack. Half wolf, half mage? That's so cool. I wish I had magic."

"You already have a superpower," Conall said. "You're more annoying than anyone I know."

"Aren't you hilarious." Carry scowled at him, and then at anyone who dared chuckle.

"It was an interesting topic," Ryleigh said, nodding. "Truth is, I wasn't feeling too great. You know me – I want to do everything but I can't yet. I get tired."

"You do look awful," Carry said, taking Ryleigh in with narrowed eyes.

"Caroline!" Austin said.

Ryleigh snorted a laugh and nearly choked on a bite of food. She waved a hand in front of her face, keeping the other pressed to her chest.

"What? It's true," Carry said, nodding to Ryleigh. "Have you looked at her? Paler than a rogue in winter. You did seem off. I'll give you that much."

"I'm fine. I just had to go find myself some peace and quiet. I'm sorry if I disrupted the class by leaving, Camden. If you don't want me to come anymore, I get it."

"O, come now," he said, smiling. "There's no need for any of that. You did not disrupt. You are a wonderful addition to my classroom and you are welcome to come – and go – as you please."

She looked at him with her lips twisted in a smile and her brows twisted in a frown, as though she couldn't comprehend anyone showing her that much kindness. "Thank you." She cleared her throat. "Anyway, where's Julie? Doesn't she eat at your table?" Her eyes scanned the room, but she didn't spot her anywhere.

"She's busy," Austin said.

Ellis leant forward so he could look at her. "She's making preparations for our annual festival."

"Festival?" Ryleigh said.

"Haven't you heard of it?" Carry said. "But everyone knows about the moon festival! It's huge. Everyone's there – alpha's from almost every pack, important people – even prince Aaron usually comes."

Ryleigh pursed her lips. "Sounds interesting."

"You could stick around for it, you know," Carry said. "It's in a month, and you really don't want to miss it."

Austin, who'd made the mistake of taking a sip from his wine right as his sister started talking, nearly coughed up his lungs at the statement. Ryleigh patted his back, hiding a smile.

"Don't worry, dear, I'll be out of your hair long before that." She turned to Carry. "Thanks for the invitation, but in two weeks I plan to be out of here."

"Where will you go?" Carry asked. "You've never told us where you're from. Are there people looking for you? Your family must worry about you."

Ryleigh felt Austin's eyes boring into the side of her head. "My family doesn't tend to worry."

"We could help you get a message to them, if you want," Ellis said. "To let them know you're alright."

She shook her head. "Trust me, Alpha. You don't want them to find me here." 

_____

A/N: Ellis is at it again. That man needs a hobby. 

Thanks for reading!