Chapter 14

I woke up to a new day - another day alive.

Despite the odds and everything that happened... I rate I would have been dead by today. Though I have Jeanne to thank for that. I rub the sleep from my eyes as I glance at the already open window next to the bed.

I don't remember keeping this open - in a panic I look around to find traces of mana only to realize I am looking like a frantic fool and that if there was any Mana used I would have noticed in my sleep.

"I bet you think you look really stupid right now."

I chuckle at Jean's words as I don't face her, "I am going to have to make a rule about reading my thoughts."

"Didn't need to," she says simply, "I would have killed them anyway if that were the case."

"Without me?" I ask, stretching my limbs.

"You were sleeping rather peacefully," her tone lowers, "And considering last night-"

I shake my head, "Forget anything happened. I shouldn't have been a dick about it and practically caused the situation so forgive me," I smile at her.

Holding a confused expression, I then grab fresh clothes as I disappear into the bathroom. Not really expecting her to follow up on what happened and hoped that me walking into the bathroom would have stopped any pursuit but-

I didn't mean to say what I did-

"I told you to leave it, this is very unlike you to feel sorry about something you did."

I know... I don't know why but I do feel bad about it... and I hate that you make me feel this way.

I smile to myself, "I hate that you have no filter."

The point is not about-

"Which doubles into how much I like that you do and say as you please," I then rub the back of my neck, "Listen. If you still so desperately want to talk about it after this shower then we can do that. For one - I am starving and smell like blood. Deal?"

Alright.

How unlike you... did you have a change of heart or did I manage to worm myself into it? I'd like to believe that it is the latter because I am pretty sure that I am a delight. Washing myself, it felt like this is exactly what I needed after all that running around.

Just some time to just not think about anything and relax. Although it may be fleeting this is all I can ask for - because I possibly made myself even more enemies than we can possibly handle in the middle of another world's war.

We need a plan but for now, we just need some time to recuperate and just get my mana reserves up. I haven't had the time to eat or anything for the past few days and with the mana expenditure, I feel like I am close to just passing out from fatigue.

Stepping out of the shower I get dressed, throwing the towel over my shoulders as I step back into the main room I realize that Jeanne isn't around but the door is open.

I peek through the door to see her standing near the railing watching the area with lazy eyes. Though I didn't really know what she was going to pick to wear last night but I should have expected it to be the black-on-black.

Well with the dress and coat alone is enough for any man to fall victim to her 'charming' nature.

"Are you just going to keep staring at me, Master?"

I chuckle, "You don't need to keep your guard up so high around me."

"It isn't up for you," she tilts her head to look at me through the corner of her eye, "The white-haired master we saw last night was here. I saw him talk to the receptionist and book a room in this hotel."