Chapter 34

Night has come and I have yet to see either of them and their servants. We searched around Shirou's residence but there was no sign of them being around for the day - everything was mostly shut.

I then look over at Jeanne with a frown, "It seems like we might have missed them. I don't really have any further clues to where they might be."

"So are we expecting the worst?"

I nod, "We should expect the worst. If Caster has the ability to take servants then we should be careful, considering that your Magic resistance, as well as your Noble Phantasm, completely stops her Rule Breaker we would be high on the list of people she would want dead."

"Yeah," she then turns towards one of the corners in the road, "I don't feel safe here. I am more worried about her trying to deal with you but-"

I come up from behind her, throwing my arms around her shoulders I pull her in for a quick hug as I kiss the back of her head, "I will be careful. Though we should consider what needs to happen and what Kadoc is busy doing."

"Probably staying safe, waiting for it all to blow over completely, and then when nobody is looking take it for himself."

"Yeah," I agree, "I would have let the idiots kill themselves but unfortunately for us we are the idiots."

"Speak for yourself."

"I am," I chuckle, "But back to the problem, what would she want to do with all these servants? Manipulate the Grail? Use the mana from other Servants to interact with it?"

"Those are good guesses. As far as I am aware only one should be left standing before the Grail allows anyone to interact with it. Do you think she can pull something like that off with your knowledge?"

"I mean - it isn't very different from what I am attempting to do."

"Careful it is then."

"As much as we can be, of course," I let go of her, turning around she then arches her brow in question, "I have a hunch but not one we should take right now at least. We should prepare ourselves and I assume you know what I am referring to."

"We are storming the church?"

I nod, "Correct. I have a feeling we are going to need our strength and rest. Let's just hope that Caster didn't get her hands on Saber or Archer. We are already at a disadvantage considering that she controls Mordred."

"How are you feeling about it?"

"About her murdering the person I wanted to murder? I am vexed. Nothing would please me more than seeing the life drain from her eyes but alas," I raise my voice, "Something we can put aside till we get to it."

"Then let's get home," she suggests, "It is getting chilly outside."

With a simple gesture, she sides next to me and grabs my hand. We walk through the streets but I can sense something is watching us just a little out of our range, I could tell she felt it to so we decided to stay silent and just enjoy being in each other's presence.

After all, that is all I can really ask for.

***   ***   ***

"So, you managed to figure out what was following us?"

I shake my head, "No clue. It might be a familiar created for the very purpose of watching out for us from Rin or Caster sent something else to spy on us completely. Then again it can be neither of those two and something we haven't met yet."

"We should have attacked it," she then drops on one of the couches, "Do you think they will come to get us all the way here?"

"If they wanted to do that they would have done it already," I say as I kick off my shoes, dragging my feet along the floor I drop down beside her, resting my head in her lap with closed eyes, "Or they would much rather prefer to catch us in our sleep."

Feeling her fingers in her hair, "Looks like I will be on guard duty for some time," she says, "Wouldn't want them to interrupt us in the middle of it."

"Now that would be an all-time low," I chuckle, "But considering our track record I wouldn't want to take any chances... I would never want to be attacked while I am half-naked - Ow!"

I open my eyes glaring at Jeanne who is smiling down at me, "I wasn't referring to anything of the sort. Pervert."

"Uh-huh, we both know that out of the two of us you are the most likely to be the horniest." 

Pursing her lips, "I will make you sleep on the floor."

"Because I'm right? Hey! Stop looking at me like you are going to kill me," she only shakes her head at me, lifting her gaze to the ceiling.

"Well... as much as either of us wants to do it," her smile fades, "We are nearing the longest stretch and I don't know if we will ever have time to breathe."

"We will push through, no matter what happens we will give it our all till the bitter end."

"Why are you speaking like someone who is ready to die?" she drops her gaze back to me.

"Because I am. I made it this far and wouldn't be able to without you," I lift my hand to caress her cheek, "Even if I pass from this world we will still find each other in the afterlife, no?"

She smiles at me, "You are putting a lot of faith into it. Did it not occur to you that I may just lose my memory after I lived my life with you?"

"I have had that thought but I didn't pay much attention to it, besides you knew about Mordred without my knowledge" my smile falters, "For now the present is all that matters. If I were to die I am confident that I would be able to find you in this world and in the next."

"Sounds like a curse," she chuckles, lowering her face into mine she brushes her lips against my forehead, "One that I'd be happy to burden."