Chapter 31

***   Jalter POV   ***

"Then? Are we really doing this now?" I stare at him, his expression hasn't changed since he leads me to the church, "I honestly don't hope to get me to confess my sins."

He finally budges, arching his brow he chuckles, "Wouldn't dream of it. Don't want you to burn me down along with it," he then gestures to the church, "As far as I know the Church should be in charge of the Grail and this should be neutral ground where Servant's aren't allowed to be."

"Then... what are we doing here?"

"The Grail of course," he states, staring at me as if I am supposed to know, "Don't you think it is about time we end it?"

He walks off without me, I shake my head trying to catch up to him, "So early? What about the rest? Aren't they still fighting? We haven't even taken care of the other two bastards chasing us."

"They don't matter. We take what we want and then we leave."

"Wait-"

He stops in place, furrowing his brow, "Do you not want this? I thought you of all people would be spearheading this-"

I shoot him a glare, "Just listen to me. Of course, I want this more than anything else but I don't even know what you are trying to do," I reach for his hands, "Just... run this by me again because I don't remember us coming to this conclusion."

He nods, "Sorry - I got a little excited and in over my head. Whatever is inside of me needs to get out and because the nature of it is unknown and somewhat chaotic I am hoping to use the waters of the Grail to try and purify it."

"How, the Grail won't appear until there is one servant standing and all of them are still fighting."

"That only applies to the Greater Grail," he then pulls me along, "This one isn't of that scale and is classified as a Lesser Grail. So it should be a lot easier to find and my gut tells me it is in the church."

"I don't buy it," I pull away, "Listen, (Y/N). I want to believe more than anyone else that this is possible but shouldn't we take it slowly? It is almost like you haven't even taken the time to consider our options and you haven't consulted me about it at all."

"I need to do this, Jeanne!" he barks at me, rubbing his brow, "If it is really bothering you that much then we just pop in to see what is what, if it doesn't work we leave and find a new approach. Okay?"

"Whatever," I yank my arm back, pushing past him into the church.

This better fucking work or I am not letting you hear the end of this, this all seems so unlike you. Why are you pushing for this? Because you are scared? 

I watch him in the church, he walks around aimlessly. I follow him a few paces away, watching him throw his gaze to every corner as if he just begging to see something. He is acting desperately, even when we don't have an idea of what it can be.

I hope you prove me wrong, then we can put this all behind us and live our lives as we should.

Though this place just gives me the creeps like a cold sweat. Though imagine how he must feel when something like me steps into his home and would shun his existence. Oh, how ironic it would be for me suddenly receive divine punishment in a place like this.

The entire ground floor was cleared only for him to find stairs that lead to some sort of undercroft. Though it was much too spacey to my liking, it was like an entire cavern was just below the church.

If I were to hide something it would be here and I can tell he thinks the same.

He hasn't said a thing, I try to open my mouth to speak but keep biting down on my lip stopping myself from saying what I already did. I should... just let this happen and if it looks bad we get out immediately.

"There it is!" he calls out to me, he suddenly appeared to be a lot further than I thought.

I hit the side of my head, is something happening? Is it because we are so close to it? This doesn't feel right at all.

I rush to him, grabbing his wrist, "Be. Careful."

He pulls his hand from my grip, "I will be. Just trust me."

I only nod, stepping backward as he approaches the golden object shimmering despite the lack of light in the cavern. There are crevices in the roof where the light managed to slip through - though I wonder if it is natural at all.

He lifts his hand to touch the grail, then starts to chant, "Hear the words of the impure and unworthy. Open the gates which harbor the power that consumes worlds, heed my words as I assume control of the mantle. Let it flourish, lest it consumes us all."

The room shudders as if it responded. Magical circles surround him and the Grail resonating with a bright blue.

Breathing a breath of relief, I smile at him, "Did it... work?"

My question goes unanswered. The circles shake as reality seemingly cracks, the air shatters as the blue fades to black then filled with crimson. A black liquid spews from the cup as the entire room was covered in red.

In a panic my eyes travel to him, he turns slowly. His skin is pale, blackened eyes stare through me. The liquid seemingly travels from the cup onto his person - he slowly walks towards me.

Unable to pull my gaze from him, I couldn't move or even call out for him.

Now faced with something completely different from him, I glare at it as it raises its hand covering my face. Blocking all of the light and plunging me into darkness.