Chapter 29

(Trigger warning: Pretty fucking brutal.)

"Funny how you came to me just in time," I say with a blank expression, "I guess it really is my lucky day today."

He lifts his shoulders, "I heard you dealt with both Assassin and Berseker. Must feel proud of yourself after I sent them to their death."

I arch my brow, "Must suck to have you as an ally."

He chuckles, "Must be. Though they failed to remember that only one person has to survive to be able to get the Grail. So... I will kill your Servant," his stare turns to a glare, "And force you to take me home."

His Saber then readies herself, brandishing her weapon.

I then tell Jeanne, "Be careful and make sure to kill that bitch."

"I will make her hurt, badly," she says as she sneers at Mordred, raising her voice, "Saber. We should let our Masters deal with each other. Considering we both know which one is stronger. How about it?"

She steps in front, "I am no fool. You both will have to get past me."

I cast my fortification, focussing a lot more mana into them than usual. I will be fighting on a more direct battle than supporting in the backline. I wasn't entirely sure what the limit of my fortification but with a little experimenting... I should be able to fight on the level of the weakest servant.

If such a thing exists. 

I will only be a nuisance but ignoring me will be dangerous for Saber. 

The battle starts with both of us charging her at the same time, though her movements were incredibly faster than I expected them to be. I stop in place as I try to read her stats only to realize that Karashima's expertise is enhancing other people's ability to fight.

She will be a lot stronger.

I am aware, keep trying to get her attention. When she goes for you I will intercept and use that opening to kill him.

Fully expecting her to want to kill Saber, I was surprised that she would suggest this in the first place. Then again playing around will get us killed.

A bunch of leading and backing off attacks from both of us. First, she lands four attacks that get blocked and I get warded off with red lightning the moment I get into an opening. Despite the shocking pain - I push through managing to get a few hits in her back, forcing her to push Jeanne backward and face me instead.

Her helmet disappears into the armor revealing a frenzies smirk, she relentlessly attacks me. Jeanne steps in the middle of us but she leaps over pointing her blade at me. A bolt of lightning sparks at the edge and then shoots to where I stood.

Rolling aside, I lift myself to my feet as she points her sword at Jeanne, "Pitiful. The other Masters didn't know what to do with their puppets but at least I know how to use my Master to my advantage."

Jeanne looks at me.

Can you use your fortifications on me?

It can kill you, or at least weaken you -  I warn her.

If it backfires we retreat, use it!

I swallow the lump in my throat and cast my fortifications on her. She doesn't budge or flinch. She steps backward as if charging an attack - then dashing forward leaving a small crater in the dirt from where she stood.

I should have tried doing that from the start.

Noticing that they are now on equal footing I turn my attention to Karashima who has been waiting for me - though his glare has faltered and he looks more worried than anything else.