3. Surprise!- Five

-

-

I woke up with a sheet over my head.

What the hell?

The last thing I remembered was getting lugged into an ambulance, Holly anxiously rambling things to the kid paramedics.

Shit. I must've gone into surgery....and died? Shit.

I pulled the sheet down and sat up. That's when I felt something on my foot. I shimmied the covers off and saw a cardboard tag attached to my big toe with string.

Shit. I guess I did die.

I removed the toe tag and slid off of the metal table I was on and searched for my clothes. Since I never had time to change before the ambulance arrived, the only clothes I had were the finely tailored piece of my wedding suit.

A calendar on the wall told me I had been dead for about a day.

Jesus, I should probably go home.

•••

-

The depressed voices of my siblings were discussing "arrangements" in the living room. I peaked around the corner of the entryway and saw Luther, Diego, Allison, Klaus, and Vanya, sniffling over beers. Holly wasn't there.

"....I just can't believe we actually have to do this," Vanya sighed.

Diego took a sip of his drink. "I know. At least the last time one of us died we didn't have to plan their funeral; just attend."

The others mumbled in agreement.

"How's Holly holding up?" Vanya asked.