13. Retirement- Five

•••

-

Months Later

"Dolores, come here, shhh-shh, come here," I gently pulled the toddler into my arms and pointed to a hummingbird that had approached a flowerpot on the porch. "That's a hummingbird, isn't it pretty?"

Dolores' eyes widened in awe as she giggled with excitement. She opened her mouth to speak but I hushed her. "You've got to be quiet, Babydoll; don't want to scare it off, do you?" I said quietly. Dolores shook her head. "Why don't you go get Mama and Hazel,"

The toddler wiggled out of my lap and ran inside. "Mama! Mama!" She shrieked. "Look!" Moments later she returned with Holly, who was carrying Hazel on her hip, dragging her along by her hand.

Holly gasped at the hummingbird. "Oh, how pretty!" She crooned softly. "Hazel, do you see the hummingbird?" Hazel nodded.

Holly sat down in the chair beside mine and gazed out at the meadow before us filled with wildflowers and large draping willow trees. Just beyond it all was the lake, which shimmered under the mid-morning sun. Birds sang from the trees, butterflies fluttered around, and the world was at peace.

"I made some iced tea, do want some?" Holly asked once the hummingbird had flown off.

"I'd love some, thank you Doll,"

She lifted Hazel up and set him on my lap as she stood. "I'll be right back."

We went the rest of the morning sipping sweet iced tea, playing with the kids, and bird watching around the property of our vacation cottage.

"Berries!" Hazel cried, wanting to go to the blackberry bushes on the edge of the property. "Berries!"

"In a little bit, Buddy," I said. I plucked him off of my lap and set him on the porch. "Holly!"

"Yes, Baby?"

"Hazel wants to go pick blackberries."

Holly smiled. "Alright, Darling, let's get you into play clothes." She reached her hand out and led Hazel inside.

"Do you want to pick berries, too?" I asked, turning to Dolores.

Dolores nodded. "Yes! Berries!"

I chuckled and scooped her up, groaning as I straightened myself. "You're gettin' big, huh? Are you a big girl?"