16. How Old Are We? - Holly

•••

-

6 years later

"Bye Mom, love you!" Hazel shouted, running through the house before spatial jumping to catch up with his sister.

"I love you too, Kiddo! Be safe!" I shouted back.

Whew, another successful morning.

I curled up on the couch with a fresh cup of coffee and turned on the morning news. Feet pounded the floor behind me, rapidly approaching. In a matter of moments, Diego leaned over the couch dressed in full ninja-like gear.

"I know where that guy is," He said, nodding to the missing convict currently being reported on. "I'm about to go bust 'im."

"Did you eat breakfast first? I made waffles."

"Yes, I did. I'll be back later."

"Alright, be safe."

Diego rumpled my hair before hurrying off. Vanya joined me about two hours later, curling up quietly beside me with her own cup of coffee.

"Do you have any lessons today?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I've got lessons from one until six-thirty."

"Oh, wow. Is there anything else you plan on doing today?"

Vanya shrugged. "I don't know, why?"

"Just curious." I glanced at the clock that hung behind the bar. "It's almost ten, Five should've been up by now."

"I thought it was weird when I came down and saw he wasn't in the kitchen. Has he been feeling okay lately?"

I pursed my lips. "He refuses to admit he's been in pain; it's obvious things are getting harder on him."

"He's determined, that's for sure."

"Too determined for his own good....I'm going to go check on him."

I jumped into our bedroom, where Five was still asleep. I sat gently onto the bed and placed my hand on his cheek. "Five, Dear, it's time to get up."

"Hmm?" He yawned. "What time is it?"

"It's almost ten."