seven

Pretend planes existed

  Young Emory and adult Emory

Ohio, 1900

  Young Emory was riding on her bike looking at the trees and the houses. Waving at the kids who were playing on the swing. Kids whooping and laughs that were heard faintly.

  The young girl whistled a long note to her sister who whistled back. Emory ran over to her sister who was upside down.

  "We're both upside down" Young Yelena said to her big sister.

  "And I bet you're gonna fall down first" Emory said confidently.

  "No, you will" Yelena stated. "You can't hold longer" She laughed. Emory made funny noises making the blonde fall first.

  "Told you you'd fall down first" Emory said running away. "I told you, I told you" She yelled still running. "Told you so"

  Yelena fell down with a thud making Emory turn around. "Mommy!" she yelled out. Yelena was sobbing and Emory was confronting her.

  "What happened" Melina asked the girls.

  "She bumped her knee" Yelena made her way to her mother.

  "Oh, you bumped your knee" She asked the little girl. She nodded.

  "Kiss it better. There we go" Melina said kissing her knee shushing the young girl. They stood up walking.

  "Your pain only makes you stronger. Right you?" She asked little Emory who was swinging on the swing.

  "Yeah"

  "Look forest stars" Yelena said making the rest look up.

"Yeah you know what? Those are actually part of the Lampyridae family. And the glow, the glow you see, that comes from a chemical reaction called... bioluminescence" Melina explained to her two daughters who were interested in the glowing stars.

  "Come on, time for dinner"

  "I want Mac and cheese" Yelena told her mom when they made their way inside the house.

  "Oh you want Mac and cheese? Well I want caviar and champagne. Grab the napkins. You take this. Thank you" She handed Yelena the corn.

  "Oh, would you grab the ranch dressing for dad?" Melina asked Emory. "Dads home"

  "Hey, dad" Emory said to her father who walked in looking glum.

  "Hey,baby" Alexei said patting his daughters head.