Chapter Seventeen

Eric's POV

------------------------------

Well, we've fucked up. And for once, finally, it was my dad's fault.

We had one job in that meeting last week: turning the Americans into our allies to give us even the slightest advantage if we were to ever come to war with our rivals. Instead, the opposite of our goal was achieved; my father made, what he called, a "necessary decision" to declare war on the American mafia after finding out the man that was present in our meeting was the same man who saved Davina's life when my father attempted to end it.

We have more enemies than we do allies. I know for sure the American mafia doesn't have any current alliances with any other, or at least they didn't last week. But the way Ethan almost easily persuaded my father and my brother and I at the meeting could, as well, almost easily persuade anyone else.

Ethan isn't stupid. He wanted us as allies because he knows his mafia isn't the strongest. But now his mafia is at war with one of the most powerful crime families in the world, he won't stand a chance. That is, unless he creates alliances with other mafias: our rivals. That's when we don't stand a chance.

The past week has been busy. My father is the one who declared war but he trusts my brother enough to be in charge of all there is to do: attack, defend, etc. Anthony hasn't decided to attack them yet, right now we're focusing on training and being prepared.

I lay back in my chair with one leg crossed over the other as I take my cell phone out of my pocket. I call a number that only I have saved.

"What do you want, Eric?" the female voice speaks from the other end, sounding sleepy.

"Why so cranky?" I reply.

"Because you fucking woke me up."

"It's ten in the morning," I deadpanned.

"I don't see your point." I can hear movement in the bed sheets, like someone's repositioning themselves.

"Whatever. Is everything okay there?"

"Yes, is everything okay there? How's the war?" I can hear her smile.

"Fantastic," I sarcastically say. "The man who started it is the one doing absolutely nothing. So I'd say it's going pretty good."

"Typical Alfredo, I'm assuming."

"Mm."

I can hear the television playing in the background, everything seems to be fine at the safe house.

"Alright, I'll leave you alone now, busy day."

"Bye," she mumbles.

I hang up the phone and see that I have a text message from my brother from two minutes ago, saying that I need to get to my dad's office ASAP. I put my jacket on over my shirt and tie and leave my room, heading to the elevator that'll take me up a few floors. Walking through the hallways, I can see men here and there, all out of breath. I peep through a few doors and see soldiers training, shooting, sparring, all under either my father's or Anthony's orders.

I finally reach the small hallway that has six elevators. Stepping into the first one that opens it's doors, I end up in the same elevator as Alex.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Did you get the text?" Alex asks me.

"Yeah, did you?"

"Yeah, and I'm stressed," he begins tapping his foot rapidly.

"Why?" I chuckle.

"Because we went against orders, Eric," his tone hardens out of nowhere.

"So?" I ask. "No one knows."

"Anybody could know by now," he says. "And Francisco has for sure figured out that girl isn't Davina. How is she, by the way? Have you talked to her?"

"Yeah, she's fine."

"You know you can't keep her in the safe house forever," he tells me.

"Obviously. I'm still thinking of what to do."

"Let her go home," Alex suggests.

"I don't think she wants to," I shake my head.

"So? What are we gonna do with her here?"

"What is she gonna do there?" I ask. "Go back to her horrible life?"

That caused Alex to chuckle. "We all have horrible lives here, this is a mafia, for God's sake."

We reach the floor of my dad's office and make our way there together. The door isn't closed all the way and we hear a loud, Italian-accented voice filled with anger filling the room, and we haven't even reached the door yet, but it's in sight. Alex and I exchange looks before slowly opening the door to see four men: my father, Anthony, Victor and Jaxon.

"Finally!" the voice booms.

"What is going on?" I question, meeting eyes with everyone in the room.

"There's another fucking problem, that's what!" My dad loudly answers, one hand on his hip, one on his head.

I look over at everyone else for an explanation. "Apparently the girl you and Alex left with them isn't Davina," Jaxon explains. "The Mexicans stole a good fraction of our guns from one of the warehouses."

Shit.

"Which warehouse?" I ask, both hands on my hips now, mimicking my dad.

"The one in Texas," Victor answers.

Texas is far from where we currently are. At least that means Francisco might not have any soldiers near our location meaning we might be safe for now.

"So what do we do if Francisco decides to attack?" Alex asks, leaning back on the wall with his arms crossed.

"We don't let them attack," Anthony answers. "They're the ones that are in the wrong, not us. I don't know why the fuck they don't think that girl is Davina, but we're not letting them attack us for no goddamn reason."

Alex and I exchange glances. We both know we screwed up.

"Is there any evidence that proves she's her?" Anthony asks.

"I don't know. Alex and Eric were the ones that dropped her off," Victor says.

"Maybe Davina lied to Francisco so he'd let her go," Alex blurts out.

"He wouldn't let her go if she was the wrong girl. He'd kill her. It would be risky to let her go if she's just a normal person who has now seen a bit of the mafia world, experienced it, even," Anthony responds.

"I say we just wait until something bad happens, then we make a move." That statement earned Alex glares from each person in the room.

"They already stole weapons from the warehouse," Anthony loudly deadpans.

"I agree with Alex," I say. "Why don't we just use our soldiers to defend and let them atta—"

"Are you fucking dumb?" My father cuts me off. "Do any of you idioti realize that we now have two mafias coming after us? And we have no alliances!"

Alex puckers his lips slightly, "So, what does that mean?"

"It means we're fucked."

------------------------------

does anyone know any good wattpad books i can read, preferably completed ones? theres one that i think is rlly good but its written in third person and i cannot process what i am reading if its not in first.

comment and vote!