Chapter Twenty-Three

Eric's POV

------------------------------

I don't know what to do. I'm angry, but I know I hardly have a reason to. Am I angry because Davina purposely left out a spot on the map that is probably the most important one? Yes. But does she have a good reason to? Yes. Her fucking family.

I guess I should've asked her whose side she's on before asking her for help. She made it clear she disliked her family, but her loyalty to them is still not completely gone.

I give a few more punches to the punching bag in front of me before finally giving my hands a rest. I'm not going to use this punching bag to take my anger out. Well, maybe a little. But it's mostly because when my fists concentrate on one thing, my mind can concentrate on another. And right now, I'm thinking of what to do when I go see Davina.

I don't just want to bring it up. I'm not going to go in there and say, "Hey, you didn't tell me your dad and your brother were staying at a safehouse in Vegas." Even if I say it calmly, it won't do any good. Also, she would then ask who I got that information from, and that would lead to disaster. I don't want to tell her yet about Yuri. I'll save that for when I need it.

I wash my bruised hands in the shower, along with the rest of my body. Another place that allows me to think. Then my thinking time is over when I finish getting dressed and start making my way to the safehouse.

When I get there, she's wrapped in a blanket on the couch in the living room while skipping through channels on the TV.

How nice it must be to be living a life of luxury in the middle of a goddamn war.

It's a beautiful sight, but the thoughts that have been running through my head ever since I talked to Yuri don't allow me to enjoy this sight.

I set my keys down on the small table in front of the door, and the sound of them makes her look up in my direction. "Oh hi," she says, noticing me standing behind her.

"Hey," I respond. She puts the TV remote down and shoots up from her seat, smiling as she makes her way around the couch and over to me. It's cute, adorable even. But again, all my my thoughts about the whole map situation keep interrupting every moment.

She stands up on her toes to reach my neck as she wraps her arms around them. I cant help but hug her back just as tight. I rest my chin on her shoulder and feel a slight smile against my neck.

We pull away and look right into each other's eyes, our faces only inches apart. Fucking gorgeous. "You don't usually come this late," she speaks. "Everything okay with the mafia?"

Obviously fucking not. "It's alright," I answer.

"That's good," she nods, removing her arms from my body, and mine drop too. "Have you done anything with the map yet?" she asks curiously.

"No, not yet."

"Showed it to anyone?"

Your dead brother. "No."

She sits on the kitchen counter with a bag of potato chips, holding the bottom with one hand while she uses the other to feed herself the snack. "I haven't had dinner yet," she mentions.

I scrunch my eyebrows together. "Why? It's already eight."

She shrugs with a smile, "I want lasagna."

------------

I finish putting a few more things in the dishwasher as Davina sits on the other side of counter, eating her dinner. I made her lasagna, again, but she helped. Davina prepared the ingredients while I did most of what had to be done on the stove. My mood was visibly down the whole time, but I don't think she thought too much of it, she probably thought I was just stressed. I also haven't touched my food yet.