Wrong Time, Wrong Place.

Food had covered the tables and Eliana couldn't suppress a smile as she saw Padma trying to impersonate a professor and she had to guess. "Filch, but he isn't a professor. He is just the caretaker." Su complained whilst also laughing at the impression.

"He is a member of staff, that's enough. Do it again." Eliana egged on as she ate some toast.

"Mrs Norris, please." The deep, disturbing imitation resulted in Eliana having to cover her mouth to hide it from a passing professor who was already glancing in their direction suspiciously.

Just as Eliana had recomposed herself, a letter arrived, Einstein seemed proud of himself as he landed on the table and pinched some of the pumpkin juice in a nearby goblet. As soon as the cover was read, brown eyes lit up as the handwriting was checked. It was definitely her mother's and with a quick jump, Eliana got to her feet. "I have some Potions homework to do. If you want to stay a little longer then I can meet you in Ravenclaw Common Room." Padma, Su and Morag stood with her as they had long since finished their food and the four left the Great Hall together.

Paper was pulled at as the Saturday sun was rising. March was colder than expected which meant that students were still wrapped up as they strolled around the school. Hats and scarfs were usually worn but for the first time in months, the front doors were open and students could be seen outside, running around. Fred and George no longer had the opportunity to throw snowballs at the back of Quirrell's head but the image would roll through Eliana's mind on occasion and it wasn't until the loud voice of Draco Malfoy could be heard a few corridors away that she pulled herself from her reverie and read the letter that had been sent.

Dear Eliana Abaza.

I hope you are having a lovely time at Hogwarts, we are missing you now, two weeks wasn't enough for us. The house feels empty. We hope you haven't outgrown your robes already. That would be the fourth time we would have to get you another set of robes because you have grown so much. But, I will admit that this isn't why I am writing to you.

I know we have spent the past two weeks together but after you returned to school, something happened. Ellie, after taking you to the train station, Bee didn't seem right. We took Bee to the vets but it was too late. They said that it was old age and there was nothing they could do. I am so sorry, that dog was a saving grace for us when you were growing up. We hope you don't mind but we had Bee cremated and now we have a beautiful box on our mantle with a beautiful picture. I know you loved Bee and I am sorry. I hope this isn't too much of a shock but we have known Bee was getting on for a while now.

Love Mum and Dad.

xxx

Despite the warning, despite the age of the dog, it felt impossible for Eliana to believe what had been written. Enclosed was a picture of the mantlepiece with the box of Bee's ashes in. She had been the dog that was a game-changer for her. It was because of the dog that Eliana had opened up to the Abaza home. The poorly written letter, full of starts and stops, full of repetition, full of disbelief. A few of the words had smudged slightly, most likely by tears, the signing at the end had been done by her father and mother but something about it made Eliana's heart hurt more than she had ever thought possible.

"Ellie, will you do it next year?" Lost in thought, it was only when her name had been said that the school came back to her. Draco was still shouting his mouth off, she caught him muttering someone's name and that was when she knew that Malfoy was biting Harry's ear off, as well as his two friends.

"Sorry, I was thinking about my letter. What did you say?" With a slightly slackened jaw and large glossy eyes, Eliana tried to bring herself down to earth for long enough to run to a bathroom, alone.