Chapter 9

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

The guy knocks again. His face looks hardened. Like it's seen and been through a lot. A sizeable scar marking the right side of his face. He wears a blue jacket, a pair of leather pants, and a satchel. However, his most noticeable piece of accessories is his golden winged triangle-shaped pin with a sword going through the middle.

 However, his most noticeable piece of accessories is his golden winged triangle-shaped pin with a sword going through the middle

"That's him. That's definitely him!" Luz whispered.

"What do we do?" Amity asked.

Luz didn't answer. She just grabbed Amity's hand and drag her up the stairs into Eda's workroom and the closet. Luz pushed away all the clothes that are hanging to reveal a metal door with no handle on it.

"This must be the panic room," Luz said.

"But there's no handle. How are we supposed to get in?"

Just then Luz noticed a screen the size of a CD case with a panel under it and writing under it that says "put hand here" with an arrow pointing up.

Luz followed the writing's instruction and puts her hand on the panel. The screen lights green and the door slides open with a whoosh.

Luz stared at her hand. "That was awesome!"

"Let's get in first, you can admire your hand later!"

They get in but before the door closes on its own the closet door closes and the clothes are back at their original spot. When the door finally shuts close, Luz and Amity are surrounded by darkness.

"Amity?"

"I'm here."

"State your name please" A robotic voice echoes through the room.

"Uhh...Luz Noceda?"

The room stayed silent.

"Amity, I think the robot meant the both of us."

"Oh. Uhh, Amity Blight."

"Access granted. Welcome, Luz and Amity."

The room lights up. Revealing an oddly spacious room. On their left and right are a bunch of computer screens and a pantry respectively, and at the far end of the room is a bookshelf filled with books. Some looked pretty old.

They both looked around curiously.

"Okay, even though we're probably in danger, this is cool!" Luz said.

"Yeah, it's some kind of hideout."

"Wait, Amity look!" Luz points to one of the computer screens showing the house's front porch. The guy is still there. Knocking.

"That guy is persistent, gotta give him that."

The guy stops knocking and reaches into his satchel. He pulls out a phone radio of some sort. He started talking into it.

"Who's he talking to?"

"More importantly what are they talking about?"

He talks into the communicator for some time. Until he finally nods and puts it back in his satchel. He then turns around and just left.

"He's gone? Thank goodness." Luz said. "Ok, if he's gone I guess we could get-"

"Luz get over here. I found something interesting." Amity, who's now by the bookshelf, called

"What's up?"

"Look at these. "Monsters through the ages", "Monsters and Demons : A Deeper Dive", "History of Monsters and Demons." These books are all monster and demon related."

"So, what could that mean."

"It means Eda knows more than the fact that we exist. She studies us. Monsters and demons. And these books if read by most people will be mistaken as fairy tales."

"So Eda is a monster historian of some sort. That would explain a lot."

"What grabs my attention however is this book." Amity grabs a book that looks like it's at least 100 years old. The pages are withered and torn. The cover is made off of leather. On the front is written, "History of Monsters and Demons."

"This book is an old artifact. Dating back to the first age of Monsters maybe older. It used to belong to my tribe. But it was said that it was stolen 20 years ago."

"20 years ago? That was when monsters were last sighted according to Eda. Could it be that..."

"Eda's the one who stole it? That's a big possibility."

"It's hard to believe. But putting that aside, why did she steal it is the big question."

They're about to continue discussing the matter when suddenly an alarm blare echoes in the room. The computer screen lights red with a warning sign on it.

"INTRUDER ALERT. INTRUDER ALERT"

The computer voice alerted. The main screen shows live footage of the front porch. The guy in the blue jacket is back and this time he brings some friends along with him. The other guys are dressed like some kind of secret agent. They're wearing grey suits with black trousers with golden ties. Those guys would've seemed like normal formal suits enthusiasts if not for the fact that they're all wearing bird-like masks covering the upper half of their faces.

They are huddling in like their trying to device a game plan. When they broke away, some of them starting making their way to the backyard. Some that are still at the porch talked into their communicator and then the two sides barged in through both sides of the house.

Will Luz and Amity be safe in the panic room? What are those guys up to?

[TO BE CONTINUED]