Chapter 13

Two weeks have passed and the girls have settled into the "witch life" as Luz calls it. The first few days needs some getting used to, mostly that has something to do with either stuff floating around randomly every now and then or the talking bird tube Hunter calls Hooty. Although, from time to time, they'll get reminded that they're not exactly out of danger's way just yet.

But now, things are looking pretty great. It's early in the morning one day. No one's up yet, so Luz decided to go for a morning walk to the woods. She walked pass Hunter's room, and then Amity's room, being careful not to wake anyone up. She walks out of the front door.

"Morning, Luz!" Hooty greeted.

"Hooty! Shh! Good morning too, but please don't be too loud."

"Sorry!"

Luz then continues on her way to the woods. In the woods she looked left, and right. Trees and bushes as far as the eye can see. It's so early in the morning, not even the animals are up yet. Just some night critters that are still up and looking for shelter. After about almost an hour she decided to turn back. On her way she found a patch of beautiful red flowers. Luz recognized them as chrysanthemums. She picked some to bring back.

When she got back to the house, Hunter and Amity are already up and at it. Amity's bdoing stretches out at the front yard, and Hunter's probably inside doing some morning things. Making breakfast like he always does maybe.

"Morning, Amity." Luz greeted.

"Morning, Luz. Ooh, you got flowers?"

"Yeah. Picked these up on my way back. You like them?"

"Yeah! They're beautiful. I'd bet they'll look pretty in a vase."

A lightbulb just got switched on in Luz's brain.

"Hmm, I dunno...I think it'll look prettier right..."

Luz puts a flower on Amity's ear.

"Here."

Amity's face turned red. Almost the same exact shade of the flower. Amity wanted to say something flirty back. She couldn't. Luz won this one.

"Well, I'll see what Hunter's up to. See you inside!"

Luz walks inside, leaving the flustered Amity to stand out in the morning air to cool herself down. Just like Luz thought, Hunter's making breakfast.

"Awh, I told you I wanted to make breakfast today!"

"Well, you were away on your little walk, and I am really craving some pancakes."

This has been their new normal in the Owl House. Hunter manages the bigger things while Luz and Amity helps out every now and then. Hunter has been sending letters to Eda to let her know how they're doing on this end. In the morning they eat breakfast and just chill around the house. In the afternoon they'll draw to see who goes to town to get supplies, if needed. And during the night they sleep. Sometimes they'll practice combat, because Hunter has agreed to teach them magic. Like today.

Amity is a little easier to train, because, as it turns out, even though Amity's not a witch, she's still a mythical creature, therefore she's born with a magic bile sac, albeit not as prominent. Luz on the other hand, is a bit more complicated, because she has to make glyphs to do magic. Hunter only knows 4, Amity only knows 1. That makes 5.

Today, Amity's practicing a simple shield spell. Luz helping her.

"Okay Luz, go ahead!"

"Are you sure? Last time..."

"Yes, I know, last time went horrible..." Amity said, reaching for the bandage on her cheek. "But trust me, I can pull it off correctly now."

"Okay...well...here goes!"

Luz throws a fist sized rock, full power towards Amity. Amity quickly drew a spell circle in front of her and formed a barrier. The rock ricochets away and hits the house wall instead.

"Ow!"

"Sorry, Hooty!" Amity yelled out.

"You did it! You pulled it off! Yes!" Luz runs over and hugged Amity, congratulating her.

Amity, even though she's incredibly flustered by the gesture, hugs back, because she's as hyped as Luz is. She's been practicing this spell for days and it finally worked. Hunter saw that she did it from his room's window upstairs. He clapped dramatically, and then he hops down to meet Luz and Amity.

"Well done, dear apprentice. I've taught you well."

"Ha ha, funny stuff, Hunter. But in all seriousness though, thanks for teaching me. That spell could come in handy."

"No worries. Just doing what's needed. How about you, Luz? How's the glyph training going?"

"Pretty well. Although, do I really have to repeat that 4 glyphs over and over? Teach me a new one!"

"I'll try to figure something out, but for now? Repetition is important."

"Dang, this is school all over again..."

Just then, a chirping sound caught their ears. Hunter's palisman has returned from Its recent report mission, and has brought back a response letter from Eda.

"Hey, pal." Hunter greeted him "Eda wrote back? Let's see what she says..."

Hunter unfolds the paper and starts reading. Farther he goes into the letter, paler his face gets. At the end he dropped the letter to the ground.

"Hunter? What's wrong?" Luz asked.

"This...this letter isn't from Eda..."

"What? Who's it from then?" Amity asked.

"Her sister..."

"Eda has a sister?" Amity asked.

"She does! I forgot about her!" Luz chimed in. "She's a witch too, isn't she? What'd she say?"

"She said that...that..."

"What? What is it??"

"That...Eda's gone missing."