Chapter 17

After walking for about an hour, they finally reached the foot of the mountain, where the air is significantly warmer than up at the Knee. Upon making contact with the warm forest air, Luz collapsed on the ground.

"Ahh! Warm weather! How I've missed you!"

Lilith smiled slightly at the adorable sight, Hunter's expression is ever-neutral, and Amity is trying to hide her ridiculously large grin (spoiler : it's not all that hidden).

"Okay, ground hugger, get up." Lilith grabs Luz by her hoodie and lifts her up kitten style so that Luz'll get back on her feet. "It's not far from here, best keep moving."

Luz, as per Cool Aunt Lilith's instructions, continued walking. All the while she looks around the forest. Everything is so unfamiliar for her. The color of the leaves, the sounds of the critters, even the color of the dirt is ever so slightly different for Luz.

Soon, they found themselves at a clearing where Luz and Amity can see a very familiar building.

"Wait...is that...The Owl House??" Luz asked, all mindblown.

"It is." Lilith answered calm as can be.

"But how's that possible, we clearly saw the house was back on Earth, how'd it got here?" Amity asked.

"Back when Edalyn wanted to take care of things on Earth she figured she'll need some place to keep all of her boiling isles equipment without raising suspicion. So she cloned the house."

"She cloned an entire house?"

"Yes."

"Even Hooty?"

"Yes, but I'd appreciate if you don't mention that part in front of Hooty. He's prone to have...an existential crisis."

"The way you said that implies he's had multiple before..." Luz said.

"It has. It was not pretty. But anyway, we should get in."

They approached the house, and wen they reached the door Hooty gleefully greeted them. Lilith and Hunter greeted him back normally. So did Luz and Amity, but the girls are a bit tense knowing that at the exact same moment another Hooty is out in the human realm probably eating bugs.

Inside the house Lilith gave them a few minutes to unwind. Hunter went up to his room, or presumably an exact copy of the original one. Wait...technically he's in his original room, the one on Earth is the copy...

Meanwhile, Luz went around to look at whatever's in the house. Not sure what Luz was expecting, but the house is the exact same as the one on Earth. Two difference though is the more apparent witch equipments and that this one has pictures of Eda and little Luz whereas the one on Earth doesn't have those. Amity, who's been flowing her around picked up one picture of Eda holding Luz as a toddler.

"Aww, you're adorable as a kid." She commented.

"Yes I was. My adorableness is a trait that will never fade."

"When's this taken anyway?"

"Oh." Luz just realized which picture Amity picked up "That's when Eda picked me up from the orphanage."

"You were in an orphanage?"

"Yeah."

"If you don't mind me asking...what happens to your birth parents?"

"They, uhh...got killed in a car accident. At least that's what Eda told me."

"Oh...do you...miss them?"

"Nah. Can't really miss someone you don't know, can you? I literally don't even know what they look like. All my life, Eda was the only one I've ever had."

"Oh..."

"How about you? You never mention your parents much."

"Because there's not much to tell about them. They kinda suck anyway. Always telling me 'Amity do this, Amity don't do that' I got sick of it."

"Oh. I guess that's the reason why you left huh?"

"Yeah. Well, half the reason anyway."

"What's the other half?"

Amity's face suddenly got tinted a warm shade of pink.

"It's not important. What's important is I'm not stuck in that old village anymore. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my village and my tribe. It's just my parents."

"Huh. Okay. Well...you got siblings?"

"I have an older brother and an older sister. Twins."

"Aw, cool. Must've been nice having siblings look after you."

"When they're not testing your patience that is. Trust me, their teasing and pranking gets tiring at some point. But I guess all in all they're cool. I'm starting to kinda miss them. Maybe I'll visit them. Once all...this...is done, anyway..."

Luz said nothing more. She can feel the longing in Amity's voice. For her village, her siblings. Luz took hold of Amity's hand which she softly and affectionately squeezed, and Amity reciprocated the gesture.

Soon, Lilith called everyone in for dinner and strategy meeting. But mostly dinner. After everyone's eaten, Lilith opened up their strategy meeting.

"Okay, let me get straight to the point. We all know Eda's went MIA."

"What does that mean?" Luz whispered to Hunter

"Missing in action." He whispered back.

"So first order of business obviously is to find her. But that might take days or longer, and we don't have that much time. Fortunately, I've found a shortcut for the matter." Lilith pulled out a mask that looks like a cat "This mask belongs to a rebel group that's stationed in Latissa, a nearby port town. Go there and ask for their help."

"Wait, question, if these rebels could help us then why didn't you recruit them from the beginning?" Amity asked.

"If it were up to me, we would've done that. But their leader asked to not be involved in our mission because they have more important things in their hands. Eda respects them too much to deny their request. But right now we're in no position to handle things without some help. Go to their hideout, show them the mask and tell them our situation. Hopefully that way they'll change their mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Not entirely. But this is the best plan we got for now. Are you guys in?"

"I'm in." Luz said immediately.

"Me too." Amity followed suit.

"Great. So assignments, Luz and Hunter, you guys go meet the rebels. Amity, you stay here with me to prepare for either the next part of our mission or be ready to back Luz and Hunter up should anything go wrong. Any questions or objections?"

Luz, Hunter and Amity collectively shook their heads.

"Okay then. With that settled, let's go save my sister."