8

Preston felt like a cad. He'd kissed Caroline as if they were the only two people at the concert. When she pulled away, he knew she was worrying. About what? He had no clue, but didn't want her to think it upset him. Telling her they would take things slowly killed him on the inside, but he'd do anything for his mate. Just kissing her tonight had been more than he'd hoped for. The reminder of the concert. They held hands and snacked through the items he'd brought in the basket. When the concert ended at eleven, Preston dusted off his hands and packed the basket. Caroline helped him stack everything neatly.

"Thank you for a wonderful night," she told him when he stood up to fold the blanket.

"One of the best I've had in over a year," he replied, giving her a bright smile.

"Same here."

"Would you like to go out again next week? I know your work hours are challenging at the moment." Preston wouldn't go home without securing a second date from her.

"I can text you about my open evenings. I'll have to get to Georgia to watch Liam for me again. I don't think she will mind seeing how much she kept pushing for me to go out with you." Preston laughed and without thinking planted a quick kiss to her lips.

"I believe everyone in town knows."

"I agree. Valerie, one of my workers, asked if I was going out with you tonight."

"Thank you for asking me out." He meant it too. When she'd asked him out, he went home and practically skipped into his home.

"Thank you for saying yes." Caroline took the blanket for him and gave him her free hand. Preston beamed and walked them back to his car. He helped Caroline into her seat before packing away his things in the trunk. Everything in his head and heart was saying to take her to his home, but he'd promised to go slow. His tiger didn't understand why they were letting their mate get away. As he drove her home, Caroline put her hand on his thigh. Preston went rigid. His cock stirred in his pants, straining for her to move her hand just a few more inches. Reaching down, he placed one hand on hers. She squeezed and smiled.

"I had a wonderful time tonight, Preston. You did an amazing job with the date." He glanced over to see her watching him.

"You are very welcome. I'm thrilled you finally gave me a chance. I promise I won't blow it." She chuckled and shook her head.

"If anyone is going to ruin this, it will be me. I jumped in with Jonas, not thinking, and got burned. I fear my hesitation will keep me from what we both want."

"Your mate died, and neither of you had time to say goodbye. That is hard. I don't know what it is like to be in the military, but I've heard enough tales from Marcus, Greyson, Peter, and Troy to know it isn't easy. I commend Jonas on serving this country and for you standing at his side."

"You are being so understanding. Jonas died four years ago and I still sometimes feel he is tricking me and will be home again. These two men came by the inn the other day asking about him too," she remarked, then covered her mouth. Preston knew she hadn't meant to say anything about them.

"What men?" He mentally smacked himself. He shouldn't have left her alone at the inn to watch over Georgia and Jordan's house.

"Nothing you need to worry about. I told them to go away," she replied, but Preston smelled her fear.

"Why are you scared of them? Before you think to lie to me, remember my tiger can smell your fear."

"They gave me conflicting information about Jonas's death. I need to see about looking into his death and what the military knows. I thought about asking Marcus since he works with military men all the time."

"I might be able to help too. I have a couple government contracted jobs right now. I'll look into who I have in my contacts. What branch was Jonas again?"

"Army. I know the guys were Marines and Navy Seals so they have little in the way of contact with the Army."

"Okay, I can see who I know." Preston squeezed her hand to reassure her. When he pulled into her parking lot he noticed it was full of cars.

"Full house tonight?"

"Yes. We've been so busy that I've had to tell people we are full for upcoming weekends. The summer always brings a lot of tourists. We are a nice out of the way space, but not too far away from many areas."

"It doesn't hurt that we now have a famous artist living in town and a famous author. Word like that spread like wildfire."

"Roxie and Georgia have done a lot for our tourism. So has Josie with her Mate Me events. They draw a large crowd. I had a group of girls stay the other weekend to attend one event. They were all looking for their mates." Preston chuckled and turned his car off. He turned his body toward Caroline and committed her to memory. He wanted to remember every detail of their first date.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asked in a breathy whisper.

"Like what?" Preston slowly looked her up and down.

"Like you want to eat me." He laughed, this time letting out a bark.

"I want to eat you. I've wanted to eat you since I saw you a year and a half ago. Right now I am committing this night to memory. I want to look back on our first date and remember." Caroline blushed and looked away.

"No, don't look away. Your eyes are the most perfect color of the sky right before a summer sprinkle." Preston reached out to cup her chin. He cradled her face. Never would he do anything to hurt this amazing woman.

"You are something else, Preston. No one ever said anything like that to me."

"Well, they should. You are beautiful inside and out, Caroline. Don't think I haven't noticed how much you care for those around you. That has made you successful in running the inn. Those who come to stay see your dedication. The people you hire want to work for you. They are happy. Now it is your turn to be happy." Preston leaned forward and kissed her. Her lips parted, letting him dive in. She tasted like wine. A heady taste that drove him wild. Unable to resist, Preston cupped her face with both his hands, pleasuring her mouth like he wanted to do to her pussy. A soft moan came from the back of her throat, thickening his cock in his pants. Preston groaned into the kiss, mating his tongue with hers. Caroline's hands gripped his wrists, but she didn't pull away. He needed her. His tiger yearned for her. Going against his instincts, Preston pulled out of the kiss slowly. His ragged breathing gave away how much the kiss affected him.

"I should walk you to your door," he announced, then got out of the car. Space was needed, or he'd make love to her in his car. Preston walked over to her door and held out his hand. She took it and let him help her out of the car. He kept a hold of her hand and walked her to the door of her small home. The past year and a half Preston helped her fix up the inn. Now he was helping her fix the manager's cottage so she could move.

"When do you plan on moving?" he asked, unable to think of anything else to say.

"I am working on saving for a down payment. I think in the next month or two I'll have enough to look for a home."

"You are looking to be near Georgia and Jordan, correct?" She nodded, and they stopped at her door.

"I have a rental property in that neighborhood. It is the one I am letting Georgia and Jordan use while their home is being renovated."

"It thrilled her when you suggested that today."

"I could smell the change, has she announced it yet?" Caroline shook her head.

"No. It is still very early in the pregnancy." Preston nodded and smiled at her.

"Thank you for a wonderful night, Preston. I will let you know my schedule this week."

"Good night Caroline. Sleep well." He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips and stepped back.

"Good night Preston." Caroline opened her door and stepped inside. Preston waited until she closed it before going back to his car.