20

Caroline walked out to the front of the inn, seeing the Harrison couple waiting at the front desk. These conversations went one of two ways. She hoped they were happy with their stay and would leave her an excellent review.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Harrison. I heard you wanted to speak with me?" She put on her best owner's face and waited.

"We did. You have done a wonderful job in this place. We came here for our honeymoon almost forty years ago and we worried when it changed hands. We'll be back for our next anniversary and will tell all our friends about this place." Mrs. Harrison took her hands, giving them a gentle squeeze.

"I am honored to hear you say that. Thank you." She beamed with pride at her inn. In only the short time she'd owned it, it was flourishing. The couple took off and Caroline hurried back to Preston. When she walked into the kitchen, he stood there beaming. "You heard?" she asked, unable to be mad.

"Shifter hearing is very good. Congratulations! You are becoming a tremendous success!" Preston pulled her into his arms, kissing her. Caroline kissed back, wrapping her arms around his neck, uncaring if someone came in to see them. She pulled back after a moment, enjoying the tingles spreading through her body.

"Are you ready for our date?" she asked, smiling up at him.

"Always ready to be with you." He gave her a peck before taking her hand. They went through the front, letting Valerie know Caroline would be away from the inn.

"Have fun! Everything is fine here. I won't bother you." Valerie gave her a wink and waved at them on their way. Caroline laughed and knew she was leaving the inn in excellent hands. She unlocked her car and settled in the driver's seat. Preston took the passenger seat.

"So where are we going?" he asked, placing a large hand on her thigh. Caroline took a minute to clear her fuzzy brain. His touch brought out sexual thoughts. Today she wanted their date to be fun and light.

"You'll see." Caroline turned the car on and took off. She drove into town and parked at the local bowling alley. "Here we are." Caroline presented the building to Preston, and he laughed.

"I haven't been bowling since I was a teenager." He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Good, then we are going to enjoy ourselves." Caroline winked and climbed out of the car, excited for them to bowl. She'd taken Liam over the summer on a day off, and he loved it. Taking Preston's hand, they walked into the bowling alley and over to the counter. A young lady with pink hair and a nose ring walked over to greet them.

"Welcome to Bowl Town Lanes. What can I get you?" She popped her gum, leaning on the counter.

"A lane for two. We both need shoes," Caroline replied, unphased by the youth.

"I need a shoe from each of you." Caroline took off one of her flats, handing it to the girl. Preston handed her a boot. She walked away and came back with a pair of shoes for each of them.

"You are in lane twenty-three. Each game is eight ninety-five a person." Caroline looked up at the girl. That was more than what she'd paid for when she brought Liam.

"Did the price go up?" she asked, frowning.

"You are here on a weekend. The price goes up," the girl explained in a bored voice.

"Okay, thank you." Caroline walked away to the lane with Preston holding her hand.

"Do you want me to pay?" he whispered, and she shook her head.

"No, this is my turn. I was just surprised at the price because when I brought Liam last time, the price was four dollars cheaper. It makes sense to charge more on the weekend because that is when most people can come." Caroline wouldn't sweat the cost. This was her date with Preston and nothing would ruin it for her. Preston kissed her sweetly before sitting down and putting on his bowling shoes. Caroline kissed him on the cheek before putting on her own shoes.

"We need to find bowling balls," Preston pointed out the empty ball rack.

"We can take balls from any of the empty lanes. Some balls are on the wooden racks around here too," Caroline replied, looking around for an empty lane. She spied one and walked over to see if they had the right bowling ball. Preston walked off, catching her attention. She stared at his ass. He'd worn tight jeans, making her mouth water.

"Did you see Preston?" a whispered female voice said near her. She turned to see a tall brunette whispering to another woman.

"Yeah, he is here with Caroline. She owns Clover Leaf Inn."

"Aww, lucky." Caroline smiled and picked up the ball she needed and walked back to her lane. She knew Preston grew up here so people would know him. The fact others knew her made her smile.

"Ready?" Preston asked, coming back with his ball.

"Very, be prepared to lose." She laughed and set about putting their names on the computer.

"You sound very sure you'll win," he remarked, leaning over to press a kiss to her neck. Shivers went down her spine, making her look up at him. He gave her a smirk, knowing the effect he had on her.

"No cheating."

"I would never." Preston laughed and stepped back, helping her up from her seat. She'd put him first on the board.

"You're first," she replied, smirking back at him.

"Thank you." Preston kissed her and went to bowl his first frame. Caroline took that time to admire him from behind. She felt like the luckiest girl being with him. He cared about her, her son, and her work. His help to renovate the inn made all the difference. When the Harrisons told her their thoughts, she immediately thought of all the help Preston gave her. He let go of the ball and it knocked down all but one pin. Caroline clapped for him, impressed with his first shot.

"I'm just warming up, sweetheart." Preston sent his ball down the lane, knocking down the pin. Caroline laughed and got up to make her first shot. She had some competition with Preston, which always fueled her competitive nature. Few knew she had it, but her sisters hated playing games with her because she could be too competitive.