18

Dinner with Preston and Liam was perfect. Caroline loved watching the two of them talk and spend time together. She didn't want the night to end. Preston turned to her, leaned over, and kissed her before paying for their meal.

"Thank you for dinner," she told him, leaning into his body.

"Anything for you two. I'll drive you home and see you tomorrow for our date," he replied, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

"You aren't staying at our house?" Liam asked, looking up from his tablet.

"No. You and your mom live in your house and I live on my own," he answered, and Caroline didn't like the sound of that.

"Oh." Liam frowned and put his tablet down. "Why?"

"Why what, bud?" Caroline asked, wondering what her son was thinking.

"Do you two like each other like Uncle Jordan and Aunt Georgia?" he asked, and Caroline knew exactly what he was thinking.

"We do, but this is new for us. We want to go on a few more dates before we talk about living together. That is an enormous commitment and we want to make sure everyone is ready, you included," Preston answered for both of them and Caroline smiled. She couldn't have put it in better words.

"Oh." Liam sighed but nodded his understanding. He wanted his mom to find her mate, like Daisy. He hated living without a dad. Preston was the coolest, and Liam wanted him to marry his mom more than anything. Liam loved spending time with Preston and building their present for her when they moved into their new house. Secretly, he prayed Preston and his mom would want to move into a new house together.

"Ready to head home?" Caroline asked, giving Liam a curious look. He nodded and collected his things, ready to go home for the night.

"Can Preston stay and play a game?" Liam asked once they were in the car headed home.

"I suppose he can if he wants," Caroline replied, looking over at Preston. He didn't strike her as the board game playing type.

"What game?" Preston asked, reaching over to squeeze her hand.

"Qwirkle," Liam replied, making Caroline laugh. She taught him that game last week, and he was addicted to it.

"What is that?"

"It is a game with tiles. Each tile has a colored shape on the tile. The goal is to get either six different shapes, all the same color in a row, or six of the same shape, but each one a different color in a row. Either earns you a qwirkle and you get points." Caroline squeezed his hand, hoping he'd say yes.

"Sure. I like a good game. Usually I play video games, but I'm up for anything."

"Yay!" Liam cried in the back seat, fist pumping. Both adults laughed and enjoyed a quick ride home. As soon as Liam was out of his seat, he ran into the house and pulled out the game. By the time Preston and Caroline were settled with a cup of coffee, each Liam had the game set up.

"No peeking at my tiles," Liam ordered, making Caroline chuckle. Since Liam turned five, the two of them had been playing games. She wanted him to have a variety of interests other than dinosaurs. Their first game had been a dinosaur version of Monopoly.

"Okay, who goes first?" Preston asked, leaning back in his chair, a cup of coffee in his hands.

"Whoever can make the longest row with their tiles," she answered, sipping her coffee. Decaf for her because she needed to get a good night's sleep.

"I can make a row of three," he replied, and they both looked at Liam.

"I can't do anything," he complained, making Caroline lean forward to look at his tiles.

"No looking!" Liam covered his tiles with his hands.

"Okay, I can only do a row of two. That means Preston, you go first." He nodded and put out the three tiles, then grabbed three more. Caroline watched Liam go next, and then it was her turn. They talked about kindergarten for Liam, who, to her surprise, seemed excited. They talked about other games they wanted to play on another game night. At the end, Preston beat them both.

"Preston wins," Caroline announced when the last tile was put out.

"Good job Preston," Liam grumbled, and Caroline hid her smile behind her cup. Liam was learning how to be a good loser. She didn't believe in letting him win every single time. Then he wouldn't know how to be a gracious loser and a good winner.

"Thanks, bud, but you gave me a run for my money. Maybe next Saturday we can play a different game," Preston offered, helping clean up the game.

"Can we play Sorry?" Liam asked, putting the game on the shelf where their other games sat. Caroline had a collection of games Liam was too young to play just yet. She couldn't wait for him to be old enough to play Ticket to Ride. It was a favorite of hers when she lived at home with her family.

"Sounds like a plan." Preston nodded and laughed, getting a whoop of joy from Liam.

"Thanks, Preston. You can come over any time." Liam hugged him, making Caroline raise an eyebrow.

"You're welcome bud. I'll be back tomorrow to take your mom on a date for lunch. After our date, maybe we can watch a movie as long as she doesn't have to work after," Preston replied, looking at Caroline for her consent.

"I have tomorrow afternoon and evening off. I open and then Valerie takes over for me at twelve. Matthew will come in around eight. He goes home at four and I take on the morning shift again at six. The hours are a little off only because I needed Valerie in early for me tomorrow." Caroline frowned. She needed to hire a third to run the desk. That would give her more time with her son, Preston, and to do other things around the inn that needed to be completed.

"Do you have other people to help?" Preston asked, frowning.

"I have Maria who helps clean the rooms. Thankfully, there are only eight, so she can get them done in a day."

"Good. I don't want you to overwork yourself." Preston wrapped her up in a hug and kissed her gently.

"I am doing my best to balance my time between the inn and Liam." He gave her a smile, then released her.

"Liam, say good night to Preston then, go brush your teeth, and get ready for bed," Caroline ordered when she realized Liam watched their entire exchange.

"Good night Preston. I will see you tomorrow." Liam gave him another hug before disappearing down the hallway into his room.

"Good night Preston," she told him, walking him to the front door. They stepped out onto the porch with the door closed. Preston grabbed her this time, not so gently, and slammed his lips down on hers. They made out like a couple of teenagers. Caroline couldn't get enough of Preston and didn't want him to go home. Finally, they separated, breathing hard.

"I will pick you up at twelve-thirty," Preston told her, pressing a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"See you tomorrow. Sleep well." Caroline smiled up at him, pressing a kiss to his lips before stepping back.

"You too Caroline." Preston stepped off the porch and held her gaze until he had to get into his car. She waved and walked back inside to find Liam standing in the hallway leading to their rooms. He had on pajamas and his toothbrush was in his hand.

"Did Preston leave?"

"Yes, come on, I'll help you with your teeth." Caroline scooped him up and marched into the bathroom to help him get ready for bed.

Let me know what you think!