26

That night when all was quiet, Caroline took out the papers she found of Jonas. Her heart hurt as she read.

Day thirty-two,

I am separated from my mate for another long time. My tiger pines away for Caroline. She keeps us going while we help put down whatever resurrection is happening this time. Leaving Liam behind has to be one of the hardest parts of being a parent in the military. I spoke with several other men in the company and they say it is hard, but makes keeping yourself alive more important.

Today I saw several men doing something that struck me as odd. Reynolds and Peters slipped off base into enemy territory. I watched them leave with a bundle under their arms, but am unsure of what I saw. It is important to monitor those two. They bother me.

Day forty-five,

Reynolds said something odd to me today. He told me he came into some money recently and wanted to play poker. I've known him for a few years. Never once have I seen him play poker. Could he be trying to gather more money? What is it for? Gambling among men is frowned upon. No one wants to develop nasty habits in a war zone. I declined the offer. I am terrible at poker.

Day seventy-three,

On a mission to rescue one of our interpreters, I saw Reynolds and Peters slip off. I followed and found them passing a package to an enemy, who then gave them an envelope. When we got back to camp, I waited until they went to dinner. I went through their things. Reynolds has thousands of dollars in the bottom of his personal effects. Who carries that much money in a war zone? Nothing good can come from this. I cannot bring it up to my C.O. until I am certain what Reynolds and Peters are up to.

Day one hundred ten,

I caught Reynolds and Peters harassing another soldier. They apparently attacked her and tried to rape her. Private Gonzalez is safe and unharmed, thanks to her quick thinking. The rumor has it that she overpowered them with her rhino strength. No one knows what type of shifter she is if she hasn't told you personally. We all try to keep our animals private in case someone thinks to make money off us. Reynolds and Peters both are glaring at me as I write this. I wonder if they suspect that I have other information about them than the assault? If they are found guilty, they will be court-martialled, but it won't be for war crimes. We were asked for any information regarding the two men for the courts. None of us will attend the court case because they have been shipped back to the States along with Private Gonzalez.

Day one hundred eleven,

Before Reynolds and Peters left, they told me I'd regret it. I don't know what they are talking about. The two men are going away to be court-martialled. I am to be sent out on a top-secret mission next week to recover some missing soldiers. It is an honor to go on this recon mission. I hope this will be my last and I can go home to my family. Caroline makes me feel safe. Liam is my joy. With them, I can face anything.

"Preston, look at these." Caroline handed him the journal entries that mentioned Peters and Reynolds, before wiping away the tears from Jonas still loving her and Liam before he went on his mission. If her suspicions were right, this is the mission he died during. "Jonas knew what they were doing, but didn't report them. Do you think they are trying to keep that information from ever making it to the light of day?" Caroline curled up in his arms as he read through the telling entries. She needed Preston's warmth. He was her new love, the one she trusted in. Living here felt right. Liam was happy and Caroline had peace.

"That could be it. They know Jonas kept journals. Maybe he wasn't as sneaky as he thought. One of them might have seen him following them around. Was Jonas good at hiding his feelings?"

"Not particularly. He would tell me whenever his PTSD got out of control, although we only spent a short time in one another's company before he left. As I said, we were a whirlwind."

"Hmm, make copies of these and keep the originals hidden. I think we need to contact the commander. Do you remember his name?"

"Commanding Officer Meade. Cody said he spoke with him. We can call in the morning and get his information." She looked up for a kiss. Preston obliged, giving her a gentle kiss. Caroline was unhappy with the tenderness. She needed more. Reaching between his legs, she gripped his soft cock, working it until it became hard and thick in her hand.

"Baby, you want to?" Preston rumbled into their kiss.

"Always." That was all that Preston needed. He climbed on top of her, slowly removing her clothes to make love to her. Caroline wrapped her arms around him, falling into the pillows on the bed, letting him make love to her all night long. A week went by with Georgia, helping Caroline unpack.

The morning before school started, Caroline went off to work, Preston would keep Liam with him and on Monday, Liam was starting kindergarten. Her baby was officially going to school. With the inn doing well, Caroline changed her hours to start after she dropped Liam off. Pulling up to the inn, she stopped short. Two men stood outside the inn, hands on their hips, facing the parking lot. Reynolds and Peters. Fuck! Caroline got out of her car and walked up to them.

"You are not welcome here. Please leave before I call the police." Caroline pulled her phone out and pressed Preston's number on the dial, letting him hear any conversation she was about to have with the two men.

Let me know what you think!