27

Preston's phone went off and he looked down to see Caroline calling. Stepping away from where he was watching Liam play in the backyard, he answered.

"Hello?"

"We only want to know if you went looking for that information like we asked so nicely." A male voice met his ears, and he groaned. Caroline called him so he could be a witness to anything inappropriate.

"Liam buddy, can you come on a ride with me?" Preston needed to get to Caroline and he couldn't leave Liam alone. Jordan and Georgia were up the road so he could drop Liam off and then get to his mate.

"Sure, where are we going?"

"Your mom needs my help, so I need to drop you with Uncle Jordan and Aunt Georgia. Is that okay?"

"Sure. I love Daisy." Preston smiled and thanked the lord that Liam was an easygoing kid. They piled into the car and he drove him over to Jordan and Georgia's. When they pulled up, Georgia was waiting on the front porch.

"Did you know?" Preston asked, surprised to see her standing there.

"No, but something was nagging at me and I came outside to see if there was something out here."

"I need to help Caroline. Can you watch Liam?" Preston hoped Georgia wouldn't ask questions.

"Yes, when you come get him, I want answers."

"Of course. Go on in buddy, I'll be back soon." Preston kissed the top of Liam's head and hopped back into his car. Liam and Georgia waved him off. Preston waited until he was out of the neighborhood to slam his foot on the gas.

"He's going to deal with those bad guys, isn't he?" Liam asked Georgia. She looked down at him in surprise.

"How do you know about them?"

"Well, I keep hearing whispers about men coming around the inn who shouldn't."

"You are too smart, buddy. Yes, I think it is about those men. You don't have to worry about them. Preston will help your mom. Plus, the sheriff knows about the men and will help, too. Come inside and we can have ice cream." Georgia took his hand and led him inside to find Daisy. She worried Caroline wasn't taking these men as seriously as she should. After the incident with Scott and him trying to kill her, Georgia didn't trust anyone with bad intentions. No one changes. She wondered if Caroline found any information about the men in Jonas's things. Once they came back for Liam, she would get her answers. That Liam knew worried her. They weren't being as careful as they should be with Liam around. He is a smart and quiet kid. People forget he is around when they talk.

Preston pulled into the parking lot with a spray of gravel, slamming his truck into park. He rushed toward the inn to see Caroline standing there with a frown on her face.

"Are you okay?" Preston ran up to her, pulling her into his arms.

"No. Those men will not give up. They want the information about Jonas. I think they know he wrote about their illegal dealings with the enemy. Being court-martialled is better than being in jail for life for treason. What I don't understand is why they are worried. It has been almost five years since everything transpired. What do they have to gain from taking this information from us?"

"That is a good question and one we need an answer to. Let's call that commanding officer and get him out here. Clearly, something isn't adding up." Preston rubbed her back and walked them into her office. He closed the door and locked it before setting her down in a chair. "Call Cody and get the number for the commanding officer." Caroline took out her phone with shaky hands and called Cody.