45

Preston fretted about Caroline walking around the inn. He didn't want her to overexert herself. Matthew and Fiona were competent employees who loved Caroline. They would rather die than let something happen to the inn.

"Preston, stop acting like my keeper and let me run my business. Three weeks at home has been torture for me. The doctor cleared me to go back to work starting next week." Caroline kissed him, making his tiger settle. Neither of them had hidden their worry over Caroline. When he saw Peters attack her, his blood ran cold. Even now, thinking about it made him want to kill the man. The court case continued to be built, but it would be months before the three would stand trial, and then it would be in front of a military judge for treason. Kidnapping Caroline was a secondary charge. Agent Ferguson kept him updated and would let them know when they needed Caroline's statement. Preston already gave him a statement the week she recovered in the hospital. Preston settled into her office off to the side as he listened to her work. Her office had several bookshelves filled with books and knickknacks. Some titles intrigued him. Gardening for the Novice, Making Shifters Comfortable, and Best Recipes to Please a Crowd were just a few that caught his eye. Caroline commanded a presence while she questioned Matthew about their overnight guest issues. A washing machine broke and needed her approval for a repairman to come out.

"Let me look at it. Machine four always gives me trouble. I've been able to fix it," she told Matthew and Preston let out a low growl.

"No, I already did that. It is beyond our quick fixes," Matthew said, jumping in before Preston could say more. Matthew glanced over his shoulder at Preston sitting in the corner and Preston knew he made the young man nervous.

"I see." Caroline aimed a glare at Preston and he pretended not to have seen it. Caroline should not be trying to fix washing machines just yet. He did not doubt her ability to fix things, he just wanted her to heal.

"Is that it?" Matthew asked, his leg bouncing with impatient to leave.

"Yes. Thank you for caring for the inn in my absence. You have proved you are a great night manager. Have you moved into the cottage out back yet?"

"Yes ma'am. I did when you got hurt. I wanted to be close by to help Fiona with anything during the day if she needed it." Caroline gave a small smile and Preston suspected Matthew and Fiona were more than just coworkers.

"That was kind of you. Thank you. Dismissed." Matthew stood and walked out of the office. Once he closed the door, Preston stood striding across the room to lean over the desk to look down at his mate.

"I can look at the washing machine," he offered, knowing Caroline she would look at it when no one was watching. His mate was independent, and he never wanted to take that from her.

"Would you? I don't want to spend money on a repair man when a screw is loose."

"It would be my pleasure. Are you done here?" He saw the exhaustion in her eyes. She was wearing out.

"Almost. I want to go over the accounts before we leave."

"Okay. I'll get my tool belt and look at the machine. When I am done, I'll come to get you. Your parents are leaving town tomorrow and want to go out for dinner tonight."

"Sounds good." She looked up at him with an expectant look on his face. He gave her what she wanted and kissed her soundly on the lips before checking the washing machine. Preston went to work on the machine. He did a cursory once over to see if any plugs of simple items were out of place. When he saw none, he flicked on the washing machine. It sputtered to life, and he took a sniff. The thing smelled like rotten eggs and skunks. What the hell was stuck in it? He started by removing the agitator and the bottom of the washing machine to pull out the drum. When he took a better look, his eyes stung, bringing tears to his eyes. He wiped at his eyes with his sleeve and looked inside. There was a dead toad at the bottom. How the hell did it get there? Preston pulled it out and tossed it in the trash bag he had with him. That couldn't be the only reason the machine wasn't working. Setting the drum off to the side, he looked at the hose. It was crusted over with mold. That would cause the smell for sure. The only problem, he did not have a replacement hose. A repairman would have to put that in for them. Preston went back to Caroline. She was on the phone.

"No, Gary, that price of oranges is too high. I've been gone for three weeks. When did you decide to gouge my workers without my knowing? If you cannot bring the price back down, I will find another vendor for all my citrus needs." Preston smothered a laugh. Who knew citrus prices were so important? Caroline looked up and gave him a smirk. He waited patiently until she was done. "Thank you, Gary. The normal price will work best for me. Yes, you have a good afternoon too." Caroline hung up and steepled her hands on the desk, giving him a bright smile.

"All good?"

"Yes. How did the machine go?"

"You need a new hose. It is molded. I also found a dead toad. The machine is in parts right now so the repairman can come in and replace the hose."

"That was the problem?"

"Most likely. The thing smells awful. You should get all the machines serviced, so none of the others have the same problem." Preston leaned against the doorjamb.

"Damn. Okay, I will have Fiona call."

"Ready to go home, then? You look tired." She deflated in her chair and nodded.

"You are right. I hate that my energy has not returned. My body has healed, but I still tire easily." She crossed her arms, looking like the very image of a pouting toddler.

"Want me to carry you to the car?" Any excuse to hold his mate.

"No. I need to keep my body moving." She stood slowly from her chair and held onto her desk. Preston moved swiftly across the room and picked her up.

"Nope. You almost passed out. You've pushed yourself too hard today. Come on." He held her in a bridal carry and took her out the back way. She would want to save face with her employees. Caroline must have been tired because she put her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes without arguing. Preston put her in the truck and went back to Fiona.

"Can you call a repairman for washing machine four? It needs a new hose. Caroline approved it."

"Yes, Mr. Reese." Fiona picked up the phone and looked through the computer for the correct number.

"Just Preston. Have a good rest of your day." He went back out to find Caroline asleep in the passenger seat. He knew it. She pushed herself too much. Should she go back to work on Monday? He knew he was being overly protective, but she was his one and only. He could not lose her. By the time he got home, Caroline was fast asleep and nothing would wake her. When he carried her inside, her mother gave her a sweet smile.

"She overdid it, didn't she?" Kristie asked after he came back down from putting her in bed.

"Yes. I think she needs a nap, and then we can go out for dinner. I know Liam has been looking forward to dinner out." Preston smiled at his future mother-in-law.

"Agreed. Shawn went to go pick him up from school. You get some work done. We will keep him occupied while you work." Preston nodded his thanks and went into his office to finish up for the week. Knowing his family was well cared for made his work go smoothly. This was what he wanted and finally, he got it.

One more chapter and epilogue to go.