chp9

My plan was originally quit the public safety, but it took a turnaround.

"My, my, my daughter seems to be in a good mode than before. Did something happen?"

*yep, she invited me to her place and kissed me on my cheeks.*

"Really! Honey, bake a cake, we're celebrating our daughter first kiss! Whoo!"

-

"Hmm, wow you seem to be brighter than power today." Denji pointed out, as power took it the other way around.

"Why you mean brighter than me? Do you also want me to set myself on fire?!"

"Not in that kind of way idiot."

"I'm not an idiot!"

"Oh yeah, what's 3+4?"

"25!"

"That's not even close!"

"Oy! Knock it off you two, we don't know what kind of tricks this fiend will do."

Makima had sent us on a mission to kill a fiend that has been appearing in this dirty city ally.

"Let's make this quick. And also, here."

Aki tosses me a spare sword, catching it just before it hits the ground.

"I thought you would have known that I can't use a sword?"

"Remember what I said last time? Just swing it around!"

I grunt out of frustration. Yeah sure mister fox man, swing it around, no instructions manual at all. But this will be better rather than just running or using Denji unconscious body as a shield.

-

"Phew! I'm beat!" Denji said out loud in the HQ building.

Catching a glimpse of a red hair speaking to someone, seemingly notice my gaze. I wave at her but she didn't smile or wave back, she just ignores me.

"Strange..."

"Hey Y/n, it's denji birthday tomorrow, help me out bake a cake for him." Power whispered to me.

"Sure thing power. Wait you can bake!?"

After all of it, I walk over to makima's office, as usual, I knocked on the wood just to make sure I wasn't disturbing her, waited for her answer in the other side.

"Come in." It was a quiet response, but loud enough for someone to hear.

"Hi there." I greeted her but she only responded with a smile.

"I got you some chocolate and a gift for you."

I place down the little box of bite-size chocolates down on her desk and brought out the gift.

"I bought you a necklace, do you like it?"

It's a small ruby gem my mom gave me when I was still young. I still remember her saying "a girl or boy, give this to someone special to you."

And I decided to give it to Makima, me and her have been dating for four days now and it's truly is amazing spending time with her.

"I....love it. Thank you Y/n."

Makima seems to be a little out of energy today, but she's probably just drained from the amount of work she has done.

"Hang on, I wanna put it on you."

-

*Mom, dad! I'm gonna be late to get home.*

"Alright dear, be careful."

Leaving our apartment, running off over to the grocery store to go get some cake ingredients. Eggs, flour, chocolate and some snacks for us to eat along the way.

"That will 357 yen."

"Here you go."

"Thank you, and come again, ma'am."

Hearing the automatic door shut with a beep. Walking towards their apartment door. Knocked on it a few times with power the one who opened it with her usual sharp smile and aki who seem to be packing a gift.

"You came!"

"How could I not? When it's my best friend birthday today." I say, setting down the ingredients on the kitchen counter.

"Power, go find denji and see where he is now."

"Roger!" Power sprinted out of the apartment, I look over to aki and he turns to me.

"I'm gonna bake the cake," I say placing all down the ingredients and preparing the bowl down for the cake mix.

"I'm done. Y/n I'm gonna be going somewhere for a while, if that idiot comes home tell him a happy birthday for me ok." He patted my shoulder and I look at him, nodding my head in response.

-

"That should do the trick."

Finally finishing the vanilla cake, I waited for a little while, its almost 12 o'clock, my eyes was droppy fighting myself to not fall asleep. A little later power came in bursting panting heavily.

"Woah, you alright?"

"Yep! Let's take the cake to Miss Makima's house, I spy those two walking to her apartment! Let's go, I'm excited to see the looks on denji's!" She jumps up and down in excitement.

I start to space out when she informed me that denji is in makima's place.....no, no.

Don't think like that Y/n, that's one thing dad told you to not think of. Maybe Makima knew and just wants to give Denji a present that's all.

"Oh, it's gonna be 12, I'll bring the cake along ok power? We're gonna surprised him when he opens the door."

"I like that plan, hang on I'm gonna change real quick, you can go on ahead!"

"Alright then."

-

'Damn...power is taking too long... I should just surprise him right here. The frosting is melting.'

Knocking on the door of makima's apartment, waiting for someone to open it. I hope it will be denji who answered.

Hearing it creaking open, snapping me out of my thoughts as I straighten up my body and ready my high and happiest voice I could give to the birthday boy. After this I'm just got to go with hang sign along the night of his birthday. The door open revealing denji and my girlfriend was behind him.

"Y-y/n?"

"Happy birthday denji!" I say with me forcing my last remaining voice of mine for him. Seeing the happiness sparking in his eyes and smile.

"T-thank y-"

"Bang."