Motives

We all have our motives. 

     No matter the path we take, no matter if its internal or external, we all have a driving force that directs us to chose what we do. 

     As I lay in my bed, unable to sleep like always, I revisit the first time I use my quirk defensively since I developed it, 8 years ago.

   "Daddy, please stop yelling, you're hurting my ears!" I scream, covering my ear as i curl up in a tighter ball to protect myself from my fathers antics 

     "What did you just say to me, you brat?" I feel my hands being pried away from my ears. "You do not run this household. And if you do, stand up and fight me." His eyes flashed a somehow deeper red. I swallowed and tried to curl back in my protective state in the corner. But I could feel my elbows and knees bending as my father used his quirk to control my bones like a marionet. 

     I wasn't going to let him control me. Not this time. I couldn't. I was going to be a hero one day, what could I do as a hero if I let myself be used like a puppet? 

     As he forced my legs to walk towards him, he walked my directly by a candle. 

     I snatched up the flame, grew it to the size of an apple, and threw it at him. "I said stop yelling!" I screamed, tears flowing down my face. I could barely hear myself over the sharp roar of pain my father let out as the fire connected with his arm. 

     "What in the world is going on in here?" My mother ran into the main room from the kitchen, flames already in her palms ready to fight. She dropped her hands when she saw me sobbing. My father, holding his arm, dropped his control over my legs and I collapsed on the floor. 

   "Teach your daughter a woman's place before I have to teach her myself."  He hissed, sulking out the front door to do who-knows-what. 

     "Mama.. I..." 

     "Shhhh, I know, you're okay now." My mother held me in the floor as I cried into her shoulders. My arms and legs were swelling already from my fathers quirk. "You protected yourself. You will be a wonderful hero. Please be careful with your father."

"You will be a wonderful hero" Played over and over again in my head. I rolled over in bed to look at my clock. 

1:38 am

The entrance exam for UA Highschool is in just a few hours 

No child will ever live in fear like I did. And I'm about to take the first step.