Entrance Exam

"I know you're nervous Jun, but please eat! An empty stomach will do you no good!" My grandmother 's overly chipper voice rang through my ears as a stirred the miso soup sat in front of me.

"Yeah, how are you gonna kick butt without a full belly?" my youngest sister, Mika, said and laughed. At only 6 years old she looked nearly exactly like my mother, except for the missing front tooth. Her rich black hair, dark grey eyes, round rosy face. She radiated this amazing energy.

I reluctantly took a bite. "I'm just scared. What if don't get in?"

My grandmother pulled the tea away from her lips. "Then you will go to another hero school. You are powerful, Jun. You are driven. You will find a means to an end. Eat now so you wont be late."

Later that day, I was seated in an auditorium with other students from schools across Japan. Everyone is nervously chattering around me, but every time I go to speak my breath catches in my throat.

"What school are you from?" I turn to the boy next to me. His red eyes narrow and he scoffs, his arrogant aura growing around us.

"A better one than yours, I'm sure."

I don't know what it is about him that stands out so harshly to me. His spiky ash blonde hair, his air of confidence. I can't tell if I hate him or love him, I just know I need to know more. "Wow, you must have quite the quirk to be as confident as you are."

"Please," he scoffs again "I've got an explosive quirk to say the least. Now leave me alone, extra. I'm here to crush people, not to make friends."

Well... okay then...

"WHAT'S UP UA CANDIDATES?? THANK YOU FOR TUNING IN TO ME." Voice Hero: Present Mic seems to suddenly appear on stage. I mean, with a voice like that, how could you not know who he is?

I tune in as well as I can to him explaining the rules of the practical exam, though I can't stop thinking about what that boy said to me... explosive quirk...

"After I drop the mic here you'll head to your specified battle center, so good luck!"

The lights draw up and I look around. Blonde boy is furiously forcing himself past people. A smaller looking boy in a similar uniform is left in his dust

"Excuse me," I muster softly, getting the boys attention "um... do you know the blonde haired boy you were sitting next to?"

His face turns pink and he freezes "I - um - yes! I do! I'm so sorry for what he said to you, that's just how kacchan is, please don't take it personally! He really is like that with everyone!"

I'm taken aback by his sudden apology, it really isn't his to say sorry for. "Right, he gave off that vibe. I'm sorry for asking you, and you don't have to tell me if you don't feel okay with it, but what is his quirk?"

"Explosion!" the boy retorts, before I have time to take a breath after my question "his sweat is a flammable chemical that he uses to produce explosions from his hands."

So he really meant what he said by 'explosive quirk'. I can use that. "Thank you. I'm sorry again for bothering you. I'm Jun Asai, it was nice to meet you. Good luck."

"I'm Izuku Midoryia. Good luck to you too!"

With that, we parted ways. Practically running to make up for our lost time, we went to our battle centers to do our best and attempt to make it into the most prestigious hero school in eastern Japan.