First Day Jitters

"Jun, hurry up and eat so you can get ready. You're going to miss the train." My grandmother pushed, in almost a scolding tone.

     I stirred around the bowl of gohan in front of me.

     "Are you okay? I even made your favorite for breakfast, you're not being yourself." I looked up at her. I was so tired, I didn't fall back asleep after my nightmare flashback last night.

     "Yes, I'm very tired is all."

     "Well eating will help that. You can have 10 minutes and still have time to get ready. I don't want you to be late for your first day, it would not make a good impression." My grandmother walked away. Tired eyed, mumbling and shuffling, Mika walked into the kitchen.

     "I wanted to wake up early so I could have breakfast with you before you leave..." she said, climbing into my lap. She was still drooling. I laughed and patted her head, that was a proper rats nest at this point.

     "Well, thank you, but you don't have to do that love. I'll be back tonight, you can get more sleep." I took a few bites of my gohan and a sip of tea to wash it down.

     "No, I think I'll stay right here. You're warm and I'm hungry." Mika clung to me and yawned. I took another bite.

"Well if youre hungry get up, you have to go wash your hands and face so sobo will make you a bowl of gohan." I patted her on the back and gave her a little push off my lap. She shuffled down the hall to get cleaned up and I scarfed down about half of my breakfast. I wanted to leave enough so I could actually eat with Mika this morning. My grandmother made Mika a small portion of food while she went to clean up. The scrawny 6 year old came back to start eating.

"Are you ready to go to school, Mika?" I asked softly. I was suddenly aware that Yumi was still sleeping, I didn't want to wake her.

"Yes! I'm so excited to meet my new teacher! And make new friends! It'll be the best time ever!"

I chuckled at her enthusiasm and finished the last few bites of my breakfast. "Well, you eat up so you can get ready too."

     I walked to my room and opened my closet, pulling out my crisp UA uniform. I buttoned up my white collared shirt, tucked it into a green pleated skirt and tightened my red tie around my neck. I finished off with my school blazer. I turned, looking at myself in the mirror making sure that everything was in place. Then, pulling out a box with my hair brush and different ties and clips, I started to style my hair.

     I hated my hair. It grew out of my scalp red and turned black on the way down, except for the center of my bangs which stayed red all the way to the end. Every time I looked at it I saw my father. Every time I looked at myself  I saw my father. I took a nice deep breath and brushed my hair.

     No one at UA knows my dad. No one will look at me and see a pitiful orphan. No one will look at the red of my hair, or my tall slim build, and see someone despicable like I do. I will only show people me, and that is all they will see.

     I fastened my hair into two short pigtails to keep it out of the way and made sure my bangs were tidy.

     I am unstoppable. I am driven. I am going to be great.

     "Jun! Its 6:45, you're going to miss your train if you don't leave soon!" My grandmother called down the hall. I grabbed my school bag and rushed out of my room, making a stop at Yumi and Mika's room. Mika was at the table eating, Yumi was curled up in bed. I knelt down beside her and put my hand on her face. She stirred awake a little and grumbled.

     "Good morning Yumi. Its time to get up. I'm leaving for school now." I spoke softly, trying to slowly pull her out of the dream realm. "Sit up so I know you're awa-"

     I was interrupted by her shooting up and wrapping her arms around my shoulders. I chuckled and hugged her back "I'll be back tonight okay? Be good at school."

     "I'm always good... tell Mika to be good..." Yumi grumbled and rubbed her eyes. I stood and walked out of the room, to the kitchen and kissed Maki on the forehead

     "Be good today. I'll see you tonight. I love you." I said to Mika "and don't forgot to brush your hair!"

     "I wuv you juunn" Mika said with a mouthful of rice.

     I slipped my shoes on and kissed my grandmother goodbye. "I'll see you tonight, Sobo"

     "I love you, Jun. I'm proud of you." My grandmother held onto me for a second longer. Her bun of dark, salt and pepper hair on top of her head hit my cheek. It was scratchy and soft at the same time somehow. I really felt the words she was saying to me.

     I took a breath and walked out the door

     To the train station

     From the train station to UA

     And took my first step into my future, with shaking hands and the worst case of first day jitters I've had in my 14 years of life.