Chapter 2

It was a sunny afternoon, and I was looking for a nice spot to picnic among the great pine trees. I carried with me a large basket of food covered with a cloth and a small blanket for me to sit on.

After a few minutes, I found a nice spot and laid out the blanket. Then, I put down the basket and sat.

Suddenly a great wind blew my long hair out of its bun and picked up the cloth that was covering the food. The blanket under me whirled around me.

A tall figure appeared in front of me, accompanied by a large swarm of crows. I screamed loudly-

I woke up to a dimly lit room, sweating a shaking. I was in an unfamiliar bed, in a strange room.

Foot steps sounded outside, I suppose in a hallway. The door to the room opened a the woman I saw before I passed out stood there in the doorway.

I sat there, scared and confused, not knowing what to say.

"Oh my," the woman said, "did you have a bad dream?" I looked at her, "I-I..." The woman chuckled to herself, "I'm sorry, you don't even know me." She stepped out from the door.

"I'm Mother Miranda," she said regally, "I am the... leader I suppose you would say, of the town right on the other side of the forest you live next to."

I couldn't comprehend the words she was saying. Too much was happening at one time.

"Mother Miranda," as she called herself, must have noticed. "Oh dear. I see you are confused, I'll fill you in."

   She explained everything to me. Her daughter, the Megamycete, and the experiments. It took her about an hour to finish.

"Oh, and before I go," she said as she stood from the chair beside the bed I was in, "Those experiments that I mentioned... I'm afraid I have done the same to you."

My mouth dropped open, my eyes went wide, my body froze.

I was infected with that same parasite?