Chapter 7

It was cool autumn afternoon. People were having fun and chatting. I was in town just to buy some new things for myself.

I stepped inside a store with the sign overhead saying "Embroidery and Fabrics." The store was slightly colder than it was outside. My boots clicked on the white marble floor.

Only a few people were inside, about seven. Four of the seven consisted of a family. A mother with three children, two boys one girl. The mother seemed to be pregnant too, since her dress wasn't tight, as was the fashion then. Though I envied the woman's family, and her smile that came with it, I also really didn't want four children trailing my heels all day.

I had been looking for materials for about ten minutes, when suddenly I met someone new.

While reaching for a spool of white wool, somebody appeared by my side. Jumping slightly, I looked to see who startled me.

It was a man with black hair, and light blue eyes. He was slight shorter than me, but I was wearing heels.

He turned to look at me, "Oh, Hello madam." Bowing, he reached for my hand, and I unconsciously pulled it away. Surprised by my own actions, since I actually wanted him to kiss my hand, I opened my mouth to apologize, but he didn't allow me to. Instead, he stood tall and started speaking again.

"My name is Thomas. Thomas Brown. May I ask what yours is?" He said, smiling. Still a little stunned, I stuttered an answer, "J-Juliet Stone." Thomas quirked his brow up slightly, "Stone? That's a nice name." I chuckled slightly, "Yes. It's from my mother's side."

There was a moment of silence while I picked up the wool. In that moment, I could tell he was looking at my shoulder. The absence of my arm might have thrown him off.

He cleared his throat when I looked fully back at him. "It, um... It was a pleasure, Miss Papilionem." I nodded, "You too, Mr. Brown."

With that, he went on with his day, and I went back to searching for fabrics and threads.