Chapter 41

Miranda called a meeting one winter day. I went to the rundown old cathedral-like room, anticipating the usual things. But I was gravely mistaken.

"I have wonderful news," Miranda said. From my seat beside her, I could see her smiling a little under her raven mask.

What news could it be this time? Another failed experiment that turned out better than the rest? Goodness, I hoped not. The rest of the lords were difficult enough to deal with as it was.

She made sure everyone was listening, looking us all in the eye one by one. Once she knew, she continued, "I might have found a suitable vessel."

We all had very different reactions.

Moreau and Donna's creepy doll Angie clapped and giggled. Alcina smiled, though I knew she felt a little rejected by our fake mother. Karl scoffed and pretend to be happy for the sake of his own head. I sat and smiled, much like Lady Dimitrescu, just staring up at Miranda with eyes that betrayed my smile.

Mother Miranda again scanned the room, "We must find this child, and quickly. I will be gone for a few days, I expect you all to keep everything in check until I get back." Her wings spread out, almost hitting Donna and I in the face.

Until she gets back? Did that mean she was going to let the village go up in flames?

All her "children" had been maintaining the little town for a century. We were there to keep the chaos from raining down hellfire. Now she was just going to let it all go?

We sat there for a quick moment taking everything in, then Lady Dimitrescu started the final words from us.

Still smiling, she said, "Of course, Mother Miranda."
"We won't let you down!" Angie squealed and twirled about.
"Y-Yes, Mo-othe-r," Moreau said with his choppy language.
"Mmhmm," Heisenberg merely grunted.
"Yes, Mother Miranda," my words were sharp and clear.

She nodded then disappeared into a flurry of crows, which flew to the sky together.

We sat there for yet another moment of silence. Until broken unexpectedly by Heisenberg.

He chuckled, "Well, looks like we'll be scrapped (pun fully intended)." Alcina looked shocked at the thought of it, "What are you talking about? She loves us!" Then after a short pause, she took a quick jab at the shabby man, "Well... at least some of us."

Rolling his eyes, he stood and floated his hammer to him right before he left. Alcina sighed.

She had always helped Donna and– reluctantly– Moreau back to their estates after meetings. I believed it was an effort to make herself look better to Miranda, but perhaps she was just trying to be nice.

Donna, trailed by Angie, Moreau, and Alcina stood and left, with a few short goodbyes to me.

I looked up at the hole in the ceiling, turned into the same hawk I had been for a century, and went back to my home.