Chapter 12

Miranda sheltered me in her large black wings, which were larger than I remembered. The walk to her house was aggravating for her, and tiring for me.

I didn't sleep well the last night, tossing and turning in my bed. I wasn't sure why, perhaps it was because of the weather.

But, when we did make it, we were thankful for finally being inside and warm. Though, I wasn't exactly comfortable. Miranda scared me. She was intimidating, though by now I was her height. I just didn't want to get in her bad side. I wasn't sure what would happen if I would, so I kept careful.

"I apologize for bringing you here so suddenly," said the tall feathered woman, her brows upturned slightly. I gave her a small smile, "It's alright, Mother Miranda. I understand." Her brows went back to normal, and any emotion in her face or voice disappeared, "Good."

I looked up at her from my position on her sofa, "Why did you bring me here?

She explained everything to me, in a very much similar way she explained what happened to me the first time I met her.

Turns out, she wanted to make me someone special. A lord, to be specific. A lord of her village.

"I want to have you come live here, Juliet. You'll be more powerful than ever before, and you could help me," Miranda explained. She sat next to me, her face still void of emotion.

I wondered what good could come out of going with her, though I understood I didn't have much of a choice. I suppose I could be more powerful. But I wasn't sure what she meant by "help" her. Perhaps do what she did to me to others, since that seems what she was doing.

Again, knowing I had no choice, I agreed. "Okay. I-"

Suddenly, I felt an enormous pain all over my body. Scrunching up, I held my knees against my chest. When I opened my eyes, my vision was blurry. Tear started to pool in my eyes. I ground my teeth together.

What was happening?

I could hear Mother Miranda voice in the background, panic stricken. Though I could barely make out what she said over the loud ringing in my ears.

With pain all about me, a woman beside me, and a million questions and concerns in my head, I passed out cold.