Chapter 5

I woke up shaking once again. "My goodness," I uttered, sitting up, "Another crazy dream?" It was odd. My dreams had become more vivid than ever since the incident with Miranda. I thought about why it could be, but the answer was obvious. It was the the Megamycete affecting me.

I decided to ignore it, and stood from the couch.

Strangely, my nightgown was a litter tighter than usual, wasn't floor length, but a little above my ankles.

I wondered why so many weird things were happening to me all at once. I was sick of it. I wanted it to stop, but knew that it probably wouldn't.

As I looked toward my right shoulder, I winced. It was an odd feeling, to be without an arm. It felt like something was absent, even though I thought I had already gotten over it.

I started to make my way toward the kitchen, trying to ignore everything that was happening.

   A few hours later, a sharp knock sounded on my door. I went to see who it was. I opened the door slowly, trying to see who knocked. It was Mother Miranda.

"Hello Juliet-" she started but then stopped, most likely noticing my lack of an arm, "What happened to your arm?"

I had to come up with a lie quick. I didn't want her to know. I didn't want to go back in that room.

Looking into her piercing yellow eyes, I lied, "Oh, I got attacked on the way here by a bear. I went to the hospital and had to get it amputated..."

She looked at me sympathetically, "Oh. I'm... sorry to hear that." She actually believed me. I let her inside, and gestured to my couch. "But besides that, how are you holding up?"

I sat down on the couch beside her. This time, I wouldn't lie to her, "I've been having very vivid dreams. Strange, too." She looked into my eyes, "About what?"

"Well, as you probably know already, I had a nightmare at your cottage. But, I only remember that I was trying to find a nice spot to picnic, and a wind came, carrying black feathers." I didn't tell her everything, since I didn't want her to get mad at me. She nodded.

I continued, "Then this morning, I had another odd dream."

She nodded once again. "It could be a side affect of the Megamycete."

I didn't really understand too much of it, but it didn't matter. I knew that I wouldn't be brought back to that room because of some dreams. It was interesting enough for Miranda.

In the few days that I knew Miranda, I could tell much about her character. She thought that she should have everything she wanted, no matter what or who she hurt. I could tell she was grieving still for the loss of her daughter, and I could understand that.

Miranda started speaking, "Well, I must be going. Tell me if anything else happens. I'll be back in about five days." I nodded, and showed her out.

I sighed, tired of everything.

That night, I didn't have any strange dreams, and slept soundly in the comfort of my own bed.