Chapter 20

It was another hour before I was calm and okay again.

My thoughts were scattered all over the place, and my nails were still as long and sharp as all get out. But, either way, Miranda wouldn't let the wind slide this time, I knew.

So, after careful consideration, I decided to tell her all of the things that had happened to me. My arm, the wind, my nails, me growing taller, everything.

But, since she wasn't back yet, I was stuck waiting.

   A few hours later, Mother Miranda came back. She did not look pleased.

I stood immediately and went toward her. "Mother Miranda, may I talk to you?" My hand was behind my back, in fear that she'd find out before I wanted her to.

She looked up at me, sternly. She was most certainly not pleased. She began to speak, "I'll talk to you in five minutes."

I didn't protest and stood back from her, my head hanging down. The feathered woman strode across the wooden floor, a shuffling sound following her as her robes and feathered dragged.

I quickly went to sit back on the sofa and waited.

   Five minutes later, Miranda took me to a room I had never seen before. It had a table with jars of some sort of organism that looked at lot like my arm did.

There were countless notes scattered everywhere, as well as pictures of what looked like Miranda, but in normal clothing. In a some, she had a baby.

"Juliet, you had better have a good explanation for everything that has happened while I away," Miranda said, seriously.

Though I had known her for almost a month, she still scared me. I couldn't not be. She was older than me, more powerful than me.

Miranda gestured toward a wooden chair, which I hurriedly sat in, my hand in my lap. She then looked at me, wanting an answer, and wanting it fast.

The words slipped out of my mouth faster than I could comprehend.

"M-Mother Miranda, I-I..."