2

Colin Aaron Skyes Point of view

"Hey Marls, I need to talk to you about a few things," I said once o had finished making Marley's and I's lunch. We were sitting outside since it was nice out, on the picnic table.

"What's wrong?" She asked, cocking her head to the side as she took another bite of her sandwich.

I smiled briefly. She looked so much like her mother, minus her eyes and hair that matched mine.

Though I really disliked Marley's mother - she was the one who sent me to jail in the first place - I couldn't hate her. She brought the one thing that was worth it for me to keep living into this world.

"I got an offer, and a few people are going to come over tomorrow to talk with us about it," I said and she nodded, swinging her legs without a care in the world.

"What people?" She asked.

"People like you and me," Her eyes widened in excitement so I continued, "They're in a pack. You remember what I've told you about them right?"

"Yeah! Everyone lives in one big forest! And they're Betas and Deltas and Warriors. And they're Alphas, like you and me Daddy!" She rambled excitedly. I nodded. I had never told her about my experiences with packs, since not all packs were like the Red Wing pack. I wanted her to find her own way.

"Yeah, good job. The people coming tomorrow, they want to talk to us about joining their pack. It'll be just wolves like us," I explained and she nodded quickly, bouncing slightly.

"Cool! Will they're be pups my age?!" She asked and I nodded making her squeal.

"When will we go?" Her blue eyes were wide and glimmered with excitement.

"I'm glad your on board with it. We'll find out tomorrow when the Betas come over," I said, taking a bite of my own sandwich.

"Wait! Will we still get to see our friends?" She asked, her little face creasing with worry.

The friends that she was talking about were some buddy's I've made during working in the music industry. They all know about Marley and I being white wolves, and have sworn to keep it down low so we could live in peace.

"Of course we will. And I'll still play music like normal," I reassured her. She smiled and hopped off of the bench and rushed around the table to hug me.

I hugged back just as tight.

——

"There are one hundred members in this pack, we don't necessarily have an official name. And we're short-handed most times, so that's where you come in. If you get along with our other pack members, you may be in the running for our Alpha position that is currently open right now." Beta James said, making me raise my eyebrow at the thought.

"You're willing to go under my rule?" I asked with a suspicious look, James just smiled and Christian gave a careless shrug.

"When you found out that we were in your forest, you directed Marley to safety as soon as possible. You have the makings of a good alpha," Tilly said looking over to where Marley was sitting in the grass along the forest's edge with Tyler. He seemed to be teaching Marley how to make a flower crown out of the weeds. She was laughing as she attempted to follow along with the steps.

"She's my daughter, who wouldn't do that?" I asked, looking at them with an unimpressed look but then wincing slightly.

Scratch that. I know a lot of people who wouldn't do what I did.

Christian's gaze to me quickly went concerned as I pushed my past to the far part of my mind. It was the past, I can't dwell on it. I am not associated with those people anymore.

"The point is, I want you to be our Alpha. We would be stronger. And of course Tilly, Christian and I would still be your Betas to stand by your side," James explained, choosing to ignore my grimace for the time being.

"I have no experience to be your Alpha. I wasn't trained to be one. In my last pack, I cleaned floors and cooked. I wasn't anything to them," I said, closing my eyes and rubbing my face. Christian snorted in astonishment and Tilly just stirred her lemonade with her straw, pursing her lips.

"You, cleaning floors?! Yeah, right," Christian said, shaking his head and looking over me. I gave him a cold look, which made him shut right up.

"Our pack is not the same as your previous pack, you can be what you want as long as you are willing to work with us. Plus, you and your daughter seem like you two need some friends. We want to work with you," James spoke up, nodding to me and taking a sip of his own lemonade.

"Why the hell should I trust you?" I asked, looking between the three of them. James was the only one who held his calm face. I have heard instances where betas have hurt and even killed their Alphas and Alpha in-lines.

"We haven't given you a reason not to," James retorted. I only nodded calmly, but not dropping our eye contact.

"We'll give you time to think about put offer," Tilly said. Her face morphed into a more curious one, "Why are you out here, all alone? The next town is forty miles from here,"

"We're wolves, no?" I said and Tilly nodded.

"Yes. But how can you afford this? What's your job?" She pressed and I raised my eyebrow as if to ask if she wanted to know.

"I'm a musician," I said calmly, making Christian's eyes bulged and James raise his eyebrow.

"A successful one, I assume," James said and I shrugged simply.

"Damn. You are just full of surprises, Col," Christian chuckled, but then paled slightly and looked at me cautiously, "It isokay if I call you that, right?"

"I guess," I shrugged as Marley came running up to where the four of us were sitting at the picnic table in our backyard. Tyler wasn't far behind her.

"Daddy! Look what Ty made me!" She said excitedly, jumping up and down and pointing to the flower crown on her head. It was made up of green vines and little white weeds that looked like flowers.

"It looks amazing Princess," I said with a grin, picking her up and setting her in my lap. The three betas were looking at Marley and I with soft smiles.