9

Spencer Skyes Point Of View

"Hey. Spencer right?" A man said, walking up to me. I couldn't help but shrink back by how intimidating he looked.

The man was several inches taller than me and was muscular. Not to mention his tattoos, which fully covered his neck and - from what I could see - both of his arms. He also had a fancy looking wrist watch and a leather jacket on, then some dark coloured skinny jeans, a dark grey button-up and what looked like military boots, but they were black. He had pure white hair and similar blue eyes to what I had. Only his eyes were slightly lighter then mine.

"Oh um, yeah. I-I am. You're Colin?" I stuttered out, averting my eyes to the floor and brushing my curly white hair from my eyes.

You could see the resemblance. Colin looked intimidating and someone who you didn't want to mess with, while I was the target to most bullying. But it was an immediate recognition that we were most definitely related; the same white hair color, our blue eyes and pale skin. I could only assume that one of our parents was an albino of some sort. But I wouldn't know.

"Yea. Hi."

There was silence between us for a moment as we stood off to the side of the sidewalk. Colin eventually spoke up:

"Can I hug you?"

"Oh um, yeah," I said awkwardly and he smiled widely and stepped forward and enveloped me into tight hug.

I could see some people giving us strange looks as they passed but I just closed my eyes and dug my head into Colin's shoulder. Once we released, Colin's eyes looked cloudy and misty as he looked me over.

"Are you okay?" I asked, frowning at the far away look in his eye.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good. You just-... Let's go, we have a lot to go through," He said with a dry chuckle and smile as clapped me on the shoulder softly and I led him into the cafe.

"So, you said that you had a daughter?" I asked after we got our drinks and sat down at a space secluded table in the back.

"Yea, her name is Marley Skyes. I suppose you're her uncle, huh?" He said humorously, making me smile and laugh at the oddness of this all.

Last week, I had no idea I had a brother, not to mention a niece. Honestly it was kind of overwhelming.

"Where did you get the name?" I asked, sipping on my coffee.

"Marley was the name of a friend of mine," He said, glancing at the table in thought, "Then of course Sykes is our father's last name."

"Oh," I said then continued asking, "how did you meet them?"

The name Marley seemed really important to Colin, more so than a normal person with a name. And he also used the word 'was'.

"Well, I went to prison for awhile about seven maybe eight years ago," Colin said, making my eyes widen and subconsciously shift in my seat. I didn't want to intrude on something too personal. But it was too late now, "and I met a group of people, they helped me learn how to work the system—I guess is the best way to put it. A guy named Marley was a huge part in that."

I nodded slowly.

"He was killed a few years later," Colin said, shrugging with sad eyes.

We were both quiet for a while.

I should have never asked about Marley.

Colin hates you, My mind told me.

"Spencer," Colin said, catching my attention. He looked at me with worry.