17

Colin Aaron Skyes Point Of View

On the day leading up to Families Day, everyone is on their best behavior. Javier did nothing to taut me, Grimes doesn't speak to me at all and there's no chance of any kind of rebellion. No one wants to get their visitation rights revoked.

I almost wonder who will come to visit me. My Betas are under strict orders from me not to visit. They have better things to take care of then that. And of course Spencer and Marley will want to come, but James wouldn't let them. It would be unsafe for them, since Families Day is different than visitation in the other security wings. In the other security wings, there was a sheet of plexiglass separating the prisoners from the visitors. Families Day is nothing like that. There will be no barrier, because the cafeteria will be converted into the meeting area.

If my daughter and little brother come, they will be within arm's length of other prisoners. Dangerous prisoners. They will, for the first time in their lives, see military-grade weapons up close. It's overwhelming and intimidating, especially for someone Marley's age. Spencer has already been threw so much and the last thing I wanted to do was add to it. I don't want them to be exposed to that like I was.

"Colin?" Grayson asks quietly. "Colin."

I shake my head lightly and glance up from my bunk at him. "Sorry?"

Dylan snickers and bumps Trevor's arm, who then rolls his eyes and shoves Dylan lightly. Haden holds back a laugh by turning it into a quiet cough.

"You were zoned out for a while there," Grayson remarked. I shrugged.

"Just thinking," I said, gesturing for Trevor to continue on with the story that he was telling. I knew the story very well, it was how him, Dylan and I all met. Grayson seemed quite intrigued in it too.

I just wonder if Grayson's parents will come.

——

We all wake up an hour early to prepare the cafeteria for Families Day. Grimes says nothing, but casts me a few sidelong glances. I know that no one in his gang is stupid enough to try anything on Families Day, especially since security will be at an all time high. But afterward, all bets are off.

The concrete building seems to lock in the cold morning air as we walk down the hallway. Guards, equipped with large guns strapped across their body's, stand roughly twelve feet apart. No one is getting hurt today. Except maybe the inmates, but that's a given.

Grayson and I make it to the cafeteria doors, meeting up with the other three just before walking in.

Dylan doesn't say anything, but excitement is obvious on his face. His raw, chapped lips hint toward anticipation and anxiety, but he hides it well. Trevor was doing his best to appear neutral. He's excited to see his girlfriend for the first time in six months.

And that's understandable. I was the same when Mila wasn't around our house for a few days.

I pull open one of the cafeteria doors, to the dismay of one of the guards. He steps back into line with pursed lips, and doesn't spare us another glance.

Inside, the prisoners are attempting to transform the cafeteria. Instead of the usual rectangular tables, smaller round tables are placed around the room, accompanied by white plastic chairs.

There's no tablecloth protecting the tables or even decorations, because they could be used as a weapon.

The longer I'm here, the more I remember how most items can be used as weapons.

Haden approaches us with one of the youngest guys in his own gang on his heels. I believe his name was Ben. "You're late. We're almost done setting up."