14

Colin Aaron Skyes Point Of View

I was breathing hard and I was running twice as hard. I knew I was going to be exhausted if I didn't stop soon.

But I can't.

The bodies on all sides of me were pushing against me and I knew if I slowed down, I would get trampled. So I kept my focus on Grayson running in front of me. I've heard people around us scream a few times and I also knew that my mate was resisting his instincts to shift. But if he stopped to do so, I don't think I could stop quick enough to hold the others back from trampling him.

A few men around me have fallen. Whether they were physically pulled back or shot down, I don't have time to check. The guards pick us off like ticks, until finally, we were forced to stop.

"Get back! Get back!" Someone in front of us screamed, the higher pitched sound of the voice indicated that it was one of a guard.

I grabbed on Grayson's collar to haul him back into my chest. The guards were screaming orders while the other prisoners were giving war cries or yelps of pain.

A wall of law enforcement appeared, carrying clear plastic shields. They formed a solid barrier and pushed at us, until we're corralled into a corner.

I've seen these guards only once before, in my second year of prison. I had noticed that they were more unforgiving then the normal guards—less likely to take deals.

And those plastic shields really hurt if you got one swung at you.

Grayson had the unmistakable look of horror etched in his facial features. He had probably never seen S.W.A.T teams in real life before.

I grit my teeth as someone shoves at my shoulder, attempting to push me back to the courtyard. I let them push me, but still kept my firm hold on Graysons jumpsuit.

"Hey!" Grayson protested as I dragged him back into the corner. I stayed close with the other inmates, who had not been hit with a bullet yet.

"Shut the fuck up," I said lowly in Grayson's ear and pulled him as close as I could to me.

"Colin! Get down!"

It's Haden.

He was already down on the ground by my feet.

"They brought out the big guns!"

The guards have been waiting for this to happen. For the prisoners to finally have enough.

It's permission to kill us.

I yanked Grayson down as quick as I could.

Many of the inmates were still fighting the S.W.A.T team and guards, trying to break their wall.

Grayson stumbled as I pull him down and trips beside me, falling over a body. The body groans in pain, weakly slamming a fist against the ground.

It mumbles something weakly and looks to be coughing, but I couldn't hear if they were words or not to be sure.

Haden gives an uncomfortable but sympathetic smile to the body and edged away, still keeping himself low on the ground.

The body turns, showing off a bloodied face.

His skin is dark, stained with blood, and round. I catch Haden's arm, pulling him up to his feet. He hisses and tries to get down again as more gunshots were heard overhead.

"Hade'? C'mon man, we gotta move."

Men in jumpsuits rush past us, some yelling and some crying.