Chapter Thirty-Two: Coming to Light

++
+++Cameron+++
++

Tension has it's hands around every neck in the room as everyone waits for Aunt Cassie's sentencing.

She could be locked up anywhere from twenty to forty years after everything that's come to light. Our family tried to get a confession out of her to reduce her sentence but she absolutely refuses to own up to her crimes. Worse, she attacked Mr. Hesse's reputation claiming he isn't persuasive, intimidating, or passionate enough to put her away for any significant amount of time.

It's only been a week but Mr. Hesse was able to track down other boys she assaulted over the years and pay for all seven to fly out and testify.

Not only did he prove her wrong, he also brought justice to her victims. Boys between the ages of twelve and eighteen. None of us look anything alike. In fact, the only thing we have in common is that we're all athletes. It's a wonder how Mr. Hesse found them and got them to confess about what happened.

Though, I learned early on never to doubt what a Hesse is capable of.

"Cassandra Walker, you're being sentenced to fifty-five years no probation," Judge announces with a tap of his gavel finalizing the decision.

Families of the other victims applaud while my own exchange looks of absolute mortification, standing and arguing amongst themselves while pointing accusingly at me. I'm a hot topic of angry discussions all week.

They've been at our house and in the hospital with my dad trying to convince us to drop all charges against her. I never knew how much the value of a family's reputation could reign over the rights and protection of children.

The other boy's families are now engaging in heated debates with members of my own to the point that they're being escorted out of the courtroom. My level of embarrassment from the moment this started until now is beyond anything I've ever imagined I could feel.

"Cameron, Hon, where are you going?" Mom asks as I rise from my seat.

"I feel sick," is all I can mutter as I make my way out through a side door leading to a private bathroom I've nearly resided in the past few days. If it wasn't for all the soup I've been advised to eat, dry heaving would be inevitable at this point.

Sighing, lean with my back against a wall beside the toilet hoping the cool tile will settle my bubbling nausea. I don't even bother locking the door so I'm not surprised when Dylan and Cody slip into the room.

"You alright?" Cody asks.

My stomach cramps but the moment I slide down the wall to sit, the pain eases. All I feel now is the quick drumming of my heart.

Afraid of opening my mouth, I just close my eyes and massage a hand of fingers into my hair.

While I'd like to numb out my emotions, I'm so exhausted that it seems they're escalating. It's taking every ounce of what energy I have left to keep from crying, knowing the migraine after will only make this worse.

Cody and Dylan just sit with me.

Thankfully, I don't end up getting sick. I think I really needed to be someplace quiet and cool is all. Away from the chaos.

However, I feel bad for leaving my mom who has been such a solid anchor this whole time; finding babysitters for Luke, answering his questions, carrying Dad around through Skype calls on her laptop, holding her ground against his side of our family, setting up appointments for my health and remaining glued to Mr. and Mrs. Hesse's sides.

She's officially the strongest person I know.

"Pat and Jack escorted your mom to the car," Mr. Hesse informs us once we've returned to the courtroom. "She is heading to where they'll be holding Cassandra. Your dad wanted to have a few final words with her before she's locked up. If you're up for it, you're welcome to join. I'm heading that way as well. Otherwise, the case is closed and you just have a session with Jack's therapist scheduled later this afternoon. Might be good for you to get some rest beforehand, clear your head."