Chapter Seven: Teddy Bears

IMAGE OF: PAXTON

~~
~~~Rebecca~~~
~~

Tapping my pencil on my desk, I nearly fly off my seat when the bell rings so I can race to my locker. It's unfortunate the day isn't over yet, I'm only heading to lunch, but I've decided to tell Brielle and Cody about everything happening between Cameron and I. Because for the life of me I can't deny I'm starting to catch feelings and I'm terrified.

Already this morning he has held open a door for me, sharpened one of my pencils, included me in some debate he and his friends were having during History class and complimented me in front of them-- almost all of them. Dylan is absent from school today.

On top of all that, I haven't forgotten the things he said during our phone call last last. It's a problem now that I've got some sleep and cleared my head. I don't mean to be a prude but I am not kissing him again unless he decides to date me-- as in boyfriend and girlfriend titles. Otherwise, I might end up like Harmony, the last girl he was with whose pants he managed to flirt into.

I pause a moment to consider if that's all this is, one of his bets. But feel a wave of frustration when part of me doesn't care if I am, the part of me damaged by Paxton.

Shutting my locker, I toss a strap of my backpack over my shoulder and start half-sprinting to the cafeteria letting the sound of hallway chatter distract my thought.

Until I turn a corner and smack into--

"Ow," I hiss when an edge of a textbook makes a little divot on my forearm and I glance up meeting an icy glare from a pair of caramel brown eyes that could be pleasant if they weren't always so hostile.

Jack Hesse.

"Watch it," he grumbles, pushing my shoulders back in the same breath and making me stumble.

"It was an accident," I snap. "Keep your hands to yourself. Only God knows where all they've been."

He advances towards me and my heart climbs into my throat as he backs me to a wall, looming over me with his jaw clenched and I flinch when he sets a hand on the wall beside my shoulder, leaning closer as he levels our eyes and scorches me with his glare.

If he touches me again I feel like I'll wake up in Hell.

"I'm not Cody, Cameron, or Pat," he murmurs, his minty breath tingling my nose from the way he almost whispers, "so trust me when I tell you I am not the one you want to get mouthy with." I gulp from how ominous his tone is and nod. "Fuck off."

The moment he drops his arm I bolt like a mouse from a cat, not daring to look back until I've entered the cafeteria. Then I check, glancing over my shoulder, but no longer see him anywhere.

Sighing in relief, I turn to face forward only to bump into yet another person only this time my heart pretty much stops when I meet a pair of deep, dark brown eyes on a face that still invades my dreams.

Paxton pauses as he realizes who I am as well. His bushy eyebrows furrowing on his tan skin while he combs a hand through the thick, almost black, strands of silky hair.

All hes wearing is a white t-shirt and pair of dark blue Jean's but he makes anything look good. And unlike the man-whores, he isn't very toned. His physique is something I like to refer to as fluffy which just means he just lacks muscle definition. Something I think is normal for guys who prefer playing music over sports.